Coffee Freshness System

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
wpK

#1: Post by wpK »

Hi everyone,

I haven't seen any new posts about the Coffee Freshness System (http://coffeefreshness.com/) in awhile. How is everyone liking it so far?

Right now I'm vacuum sealing in mason jars and freezing my beans. I'm considering switching to this.

I know one member here that modified the container to be opaque so no light would get in.

Past discussions:
Seeking feedback on Coffee Freshness System prototype
Coffee Freshness System

OldNuc

#2: Post by OldNuc »

I have been using the CFS for about 2 years with no issues regarding maintaining coffee freshness. I have not made any specific attempts to excluded ambient light from the system but I do have it located so it is never exposed to direct sunlight. I suspect the avoidance of direct sunlight is a good idea. As to gas consumption I have the system setup to run from 20 pound CO2 cylinders and these are lasting me 92-95 days with 6-9 open-close cycles/day. The CFS has proved to be a simpler and higher performing storage system than the freezing-refrigerating small batch approach I was previously using.

redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

I tend to buy smaller size bags that get used within 2 weeks.
For any larger purchases I use AirScape canisters.
Although they don't displace the ambient air with another source, they do allow for venting of CO2 and minimize air and space in can.

Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

sprin001

#4: Post by sprin001 »

I've gone to the airscape containers as well. I just buy 1-1.5lb at a time. I've not had good luck or thought it worth the hassle to do 5lb and freeze yet. If I happen to buy a vacuum sealer, I'd try it.

jesse

#5: Post by jesse »

Outside of aesthetics and/or plastic concerns, is there any advantage to the Coffee Freshness System over just putting your beans into a soda bottle and using a cheap FiZZ GiZ carbonation device to introduce the CO₂?

Edit: I also wonder if there'd be an appreciable difference between CO₂ methods vs single dose, airtight containers with zero headspace. I use 1.5 oz jars (~18 grams). The decline in the cup is tolerable until around the 15th day (not counting a two day rest just off roast). I can never quite finish a 12 oz bag within that window and so am always drinking some pretty stale coffee while I wait for a new bag. It doesn't bother me that much anymore, but if CO₂ could get me an extra 7 or 10 days I'd be all over it.

OldNuc

#6: Post by OldNuc »

jesse wrote:Outside of aesthetics and/or plastic concerns, is there any advantage to the Coffee Freshness System over just putting your beans into a soda bottle and using a cheap FiZZ GiZ carbonation device to introduce the CO₂?

Yes, gas is not a solid so when you introduce a new gas into a container is bot displaces and mixes with the initial gas in the container. What this boils down to is the resultant concentration is reduced to somewhere in the range of 2/3 to 1/2 of what you started with, 21% O2. This is inadequate to actually stop the oxidation process.

Edit: I also wonder if there'd be an appreciable difference between CO₂ methods vs single dose, airtight containers with zero headspace. I use 1.5 oz jars (~18 grams). The decline in the cup is tolerable until around the 15th day (not counting a two day rest just off roast). I can never quite finish a 12 oz bag within that window and so am always drinking some pretty stale coffee while I wait for a new bag. It doesn't bother me that much anymore, but if CO₂ could get me an extra 7 or 10 days I'd be all over it.
Before becoming a user of this system I tried just about every other storage system/suggestion out there and all had similar results to what you are experiencing, 12-15 days to undrinkable.

Presently I load in about 600-650 grams of roasted coffee into the canister and that will last for 7-14 days at my consumption rate. I do not have any variation in grinder settings to maintain flow, no fiddling with tamp pressure, no temperature adjustments, and no inconsumable espresso.

As a side observation the storage cylinder is rather deep and I do not take it off of the base to dump out the last of the coffee before refilling with fresh. This leaves about 2-3" depth of beans in the bottom of the cylinder. I have been intentionally pulling 1 or 2 shots from this bottom layer recently to see how it is holding up and I can not tell the difference between this bottom layer and the fresh beans. The age of this bottom layer is in months.

jesse

#7: Post by jesse »

Thanks for the detailed response.

I don't do espresso, but w/r/t drip, if you're saying this thing could extend the freshness of roasted coffee into the months range - even if only at the noticeably faded but not stale point - I'd consider purchasing one, especially if he could get the price down.