Greens Alert - Page 79

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
IMAWriter

#781: Post by IMAWriter »

Boldjava wrote:Nyeri Coffee - double washed and sun dried on raised beds. Smallholder farming families organized around the Gikanda Cooperative Society's Ndaroni Factory. Includes new variety, Batian, backcrossed SLs and Ruiru 11 for rust and CBB resistance. https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2016/ ... an-coffee/

Two days rest. City plus. 1st crack 8:30. Dropped 10:30. Prepped in vac pot.
Dave, I often felt a vac pot is the supreme prep method for getting the FIRST full dose of a new coffee. I'm, an amateur "copper", and because of that often find what I tasted from the spoon after 24 hours will be significantly different after an extra day, then instead of my usual Kalita, go for my Yama 6 cup vac pot. Off topic, but for a while back 6-7 years ago, vac pot had again reached it's height of popularity. Get the grind and temperature right, and the results can be amazing. Thanks for the heads up on this coffee.

Boldjava

#782: Post by Boldjava »

IMAWriter wrote:Dave, I often felt a vac pot is the supreme prep method for getting the FIRST full dose of a new coffee.
OT: Couldn't agree more. We are in the same camp.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#783: Post by IMAWriter »

IMAWriter wrote:Dave, I often felt a vac pot is the supreme prep method for getting the FIRST full dose of a new coffee. I'm an amateur "cupper", and because of that often find what I tasted from the spoon after 24 hours will be significantly different after an extra day, then instead of my usual Kalita, go for my Yama 6 cup vac pot. Off topic, but for a while back 6-7 years ago, vac pot had again reached it's height of popularity. Get the grind and temperature right, and the results can be amazing. Thanks for the heads up on this coffee.

Edit...for CUPPER...durn spell check!

AZRich

#784: Post by AZRich »

Bunkmil wrote:I've never tried it but BodhiLeaf offers a 40% discount on this Ethiopia Rophi Natural Sidamo with the code ROPHI until friday.
I just roasted my first batch of the Rophi about 30 minutes ago and I must have done something right (for a change) because it is a big WOW as a melitta drip already. Strawberry and some florals as well. The last time I was this happy right out of the roaster was a few years ago - also a Sidamo. Hope some of you also got in on that sale price last week.
Rich

Boldjava

#785: Post by Boldjava »

Kenyans with high grading flowing from Shrub, SMs and Royal Oakland. Grabbed:
* Kenya Nyeri Gichatha-ini Peaberry from SM and
* Kenya Nyeri Katarina Crown Jewel from Royal Oakland
Went to grab a third from Shrub after dinner and before the Twins baseball game, when I went to put it into my cart (Kenya Nyeri Chorongi Peaberry, a 93.4), you buggers had grabbed all of it before me <wide grin>. SOLD OUT.

Notes/thoughts to follow.
-----
LMWDP #339

Roasty
Supporter ♡

#786: Post by Roasty »

Awww, you beat me to it, Boldjava. I just purchased a bunch of the Nyeri's from SM.

ducats

#787: Post by ducats »

Boldjava wrote: Went to grab a third from Shrub after dinner and before the Twins baseball game
Twins 6, Oakland 3, for those keeping score.

also leapt on SMs kenyas. got the peaberries: Kenya Nyeri Gichatha-ini Peaberry & Kenya Kirinyaga Thunguri Peaberry. i'm hoping the Thunguri is similar to the Kenya Kiamabara Kii Peaberry from 2015. both were given the "Orange Julius" description :D

anyone know how problematic the keyan drought will be on this year's crops? found one article that basically says bad now, but indicators for later say better than usual--no quality discernment though, just quantity. i always find myself in a Hamlet situation, wondering to buy greens now or if something down the road could be better. plus now maybe i need to take a closer look at global weather :shock:
article: https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/busines ... ver-losses

Advertisement
rgrosz

#788: Post by rgrosz »

SAS wrote:I have ordered beans from Bodhileaf for several years. I treat the some of the discounted some beans as beans for the base of blends and for "customers" who want very dark roasts; Starbucks lovers.

Sometimes I really am wowed by what I buy from Bodhileaf as single origin specialty coffee. The Brazilian Volcano Fazenda Do Prado #02 @ $2.99/# I bought a few weeks ago really is great.

I talked with someone there, asking if the discount was used to get rid of old inventory. I was answered that the owner, Steve, just wants the homeroaster to experience some of the quality and variety of his offerings.
+1
I haven't ordered from Bodhileaf for several years - it was simply a matter of wanting a particular coffee that was "hard to find". I was definitely happy with the coffees that I purchased from them.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

coffeemmichael

#789: Post by coffeemmichael »

SM just posted three more Kenyans:
91.5 AB
90.3 PB
92.7!!! PB-- only being sold in 1lb bags

Rush

#790: Post by Rush replying to coffeemmichael »

I cheated and bought five bags of the 92.7 PB, and five pounds of the 91.5 AB. And of course I had to pick up a washed Ethiopian. Ethiopia Shakiso Mormora Farm.

Has anyone roasted any of these Kenyans yet? What about the Shakiso Mormora?