Rancilio Classe 10 problem. SW1, what is it for?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Steveinid

#1: Post by Steveinid »

I'm having a problem with a Rancilio Classe 10. The reset button keeps popping and it needs to be reset about 4 times per day. While investigating the problem I put an amp meter on the heating element wires and was surprised to see that the amps were jumping around anywhere from 3 - 7 amps. The amps were never steady but constantly jumping around. So, while tracing the problem I find myself looking at the control board and I see on the board a dial of sorts labeled SW1. It has "Low" "Med" and "Hi" on it with a little slot for a screw driver. I didn't know what this was for so I turned it from "Hi" down to "low" and then back to "Hi". Well, that wasn't my smartest move because it broke. Now the machine isn't heating along with a couple other problems and I'm wondering what the purpose of that switch is. I can pull the board and solder in a jumper so I haven't ruined it but knowing what the switch is for would be helpful. It might also solve my problem with the elements.

Steveinid (original poster)

#2: Post by Steveinid (original poster) »

talked to Rancilio yesterday about this problem. The guy in tech support was very helpful. Turns out I got my boards mixed up. The Rancilio Classe 10 has 2 boards. One is the control board and the other (that I was referring to) is a power board. On this board, as I mentioned on my first post, is a dial like component that is really a switch. It switches between the different powers that the machine can be plugged into. It is only labeled Hi, Med, Low so I can't put any numbers to it. I decided to just put a jumper across the broken switch and get it back up and running again. All works as before. Now I still have that pesky problem with the power to the heating elements jumping all over the place. Tech Support suggested it was the power board that needs replacing. I agreed as well. Power board on the way.