How's your Mahlgut MG-1 grinder alignment and experiences? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Tonefish (original poster)

#21: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

Thanks Dominick, Jochen, and Vlad! I really appreciate hearing about your experiences. One thing I really like about the design of the MG-1 is that the inner burr is not floating, but rather it has that lower bushing on the cross-brace.

I'm also finding the MG-1 can draw the best shots in town. Can't beat that.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

RyanP

#22: Post by RyanP »

dominico wrote:Thanks for the lead on the suction cups, I'll check them out.
These suction cups are legit. Huge improvement on the original.

Advertisement
bradenl123

#23: Post by bradenl123 »

Yeah I spent days trying to find M4 screw suction cups and eventually stumbled across those and the only thing is they come in packs of 5 but they are 6$ so 12$ for 10 is a great deal. Since having mine, my mahlgut grinds anything and everything with out any issues of stability. Might have to pick up another pack of 5 because I only bought one pack and use the old suction cup for the very front.

Braden

grog

#24: Post by grog »

I was part of the group buy, and have always found my MG-1 to have excellent alignment. I have had it in daily use for 4-5 shots per day for about two years now, and once I upgraded to the 50mm suction cups, have had no challenges at all with grinding light roasts. With the stock cups and an Able2 mat, I still found it challenging to grind light roasts - but the larger suction cups mitigate that well.

My lone complaint now is that the grind setting drifts over time when grinding harder beans. Several people have hipped me to putting a few wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the adjustment knob, but it still moves on me eventually. I've also reached out to Mahlgut to see when the VooDoo Daddy Pharos-style pointer adjuster they had developed for the MG-1S would be available, but have never gotten a response. I even found split threaded collars that fit the burr shaft and would work for a DIY mod, but foolishly purchased stainless instead of carbon steel. So I have to find a machine shop to tap and thread it for me rather than being able to do so myself.

Overall though, I love the grinder. Someday I'll upgrade to a Monolith flat, but that day isn't coming anytime soon.
LMWDP #514

RyanP

#25: Post by RyanP »

bradenl123 wrote:Yeah I spent days trying to find M4 screw suction cups and eventually stumbled across those and the only thing is they come in packs of 5 but they are 6$ so 12$ for 10 is a great deal. Since having mine, my mahlgut grinds anything and everything with out any issues of stability. Might have to pick up another pack of 5 because I only bought one pack and use the old suction cup for the very front.

Braden
Yep, it really anchors the grinder down. I actually have to struggle to get it off of the surface once I've set it down somewhere, even on my wood dining table where I had initially set it down after installing the new cups.

RyanP

#26: Post by RyanP »

grog wrote: My lone complaint now is that the grind setting drifts over time when grinding harder beans. Several people have hipped me to putting a few wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the adjustment knob, but it still moves on me eventually.
That's a bummer that fix didn't work for you. I haven't had to replace the teflon tape I used since first trying it out, and it holds the grind setting very well, even with ridiculous-pull-a-muscle-grinding light beans like from Slate roasters. I also contacted Mahlgut about their newer parts and they never responded. In fact they haven't really posted an update on anything in awhile. I would love to update the grind bin and the adjustment pointer on mine, as well. Maybe it's time to email them about it again. You'd think they'd want to make some extra money off of these parts they produced and are never going to use.

grog

#27: Post by grog »

Well, hopefully they will reply to one of us eventually.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
bradenl123

#28: Post by bradenl123 »

Mine has only had 25lbs through it so far and I do about 3 shots a day...when should I notice it moving and where do I put the teflon tape?

Braden

spressomon

#29: Post by spressomon »

FWIW Michael seems to reply sometimes via Instagram.
No Espresso = Depresso

grog

#30: Post by grog »

Braden, I just check the grind setting every 3-4 days. I've noticed that if I have some particularly hard, light roasted beans, the setting tends to drift towards coarser over a few days. Others have mitigated this by adding a few wraps of teflon plumbers tape on the threads of the knob that you loosen and tighten to adjust the grind setting. For whatever reason, I've not had success with this.
LMWDP #514