Mahlgut MG-1 Grind Settings

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bradenl123

#1: Post by bradenl123 »

What are the average ranges for each?

Espresso:

Pour Over:

Drip:

French Press:

etc. etc.

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

Espresso range (its all I drink in the coffee world): 4.5-6.5 on mine (very well seasoned burrs). Don't know if you saw my post about how I anchored mine down but it makes grinding even the lightest bean roasts a non-event; highly recommended.
No Espresso = Depresso

grog

#3: Post by grog »

There isn't a ton of value in trying to compile such a list, because it seems these didn't leave the factory with uniform calibration. On the Mahlgut megathread (maybe last year), someone asked a similar question and the responses for espresso were all over the place. For me, the espresso range is 6.5 - 8.5 depending on the beans. My burrs are very well seasoned but 4.5 would not only choke any of my machines, but I think grinding light roasts would be nearly impossible at that setting - on my grinder. All you can really do is find the range for you on your specific grinder.
LMWDP #514

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#4: Post by orphanespresso »

I can only make observations about the burr, which is the same as used in the OE Pharos... The "68 mm " conical burrset delivers a beautiful espresso grind but is more or less unsuitable for coarse grinding. It can be good enough if you use a fine grind approach for pourover but in the coarser ranges there are better burr choices. I think some of this has to do with the big burr combined with slow speed allows a lot of boulders through while the fines production is basically stable.
We are doing some Pharos tweaks currently and are setting up the design to basically disable the coarse end of the range as useless.

Tonefish

#5: Post by Tonefish »

With the espresso range being about 2 marks I can see why they were considering finer threads on the burr spindle.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!