Why didn't we ask this question to Chris Carra?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
CoffeeOwl

#1: Post by CoffeeOwl »

We, that is me and Richard/espressme had a small following conversation seven years ago, when there was an opportunity to wave questions to Chris Carra:

I asked:
CoffeeOwl wrote: I wish very much someone started manufatcuring simple lever machines like Caravel and La Peppina. Soon there will be none left second hand. Maybe that's a good question to ask - why nobody does it yet.
Richard replied:
espressme wrote: Hello Pawel,
The main reasons, in my opinion, that no-one seems to be making small quality lever machines may be that the users do not have the time or inclination to use them. The LMWDP not included!! Also, the lawyers have driven injury compensations and damage awards out of sight in the last thirty years. A small specialty espresso machine company cannot afford to buy enough insurance when the costs of manufacturing have become outrageous. A La Peppina with its notably shaky base could be a lawyer's dream. In the US, getting a product to market may be a many year job and getting it certified by UL and CSA would break a small manufacturer. I would guess from my past experiences that getting a product to market would cost on the average of a half million dollars. And it would be knocked off in about 6 months by a machine similar but not exactly so which would use the original as a guide for design and safety certification.
One of the criteria for heated machines is that no part accessible to touch may be over 150°/65.5°C, and that is one of the simplest rules....So you can guess what tricks may be used in preparing a machine for testing>>>

On that note, I am amazed that the Mypressi has made it to market and done as well as it has. That took a great deal of money and engineering talent.
I am not interested in machines like mypressi twist, but in Strietman CT-1 I am very much! :)
Looks like my wishes came true.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199