Vintage lever vs Modern lever - Brugnetti Aurora & Londinium 1 - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tony_Lotts

#31: Post by Tony_Lotts »

samuellaw178 wrote:How long does it take for your machine to heat up to the 85C target? Say if you have a coffee needs to be brewed cooler, what're the ways to do that? I found it easier to increase the temp, but reducing it is difficult. Sometimes the thermosyphon stall can be used to its advantage but I'm sure that's not a reliable method..
Time to 85° C: Roughly 1 hour, dependent on ambient temperature. I'll time it this weekend.
To cool the group: I turn off machine to stall the thermosyphon for a few minutes; then turn it back on. Some L1 owners use a room temperature portafilter to cool the group, I think others wrap the group in a cold wet towel.

Tony_Lotts

#32: Post by Tony_Lotts »

For reference, the room temperature portfilter technique came from suggestion on the Londinium. The cold towel technique is from here Commercial Lever Temperature Management Techniques (also includes the portafilter technique).

peacecup

#33: Post by peacecup »

I use an "active" preinfusion on my home levers, that is, preinfusing the puck with piston pressure (the old Fellini move). Perhaps this is why my shots are so forgiving - the original intent was to fully saturate the puck to prepare it for the shot. Your results seem to confirm that this makes the shots almost fool-proof, which has been my experience with active preinfusion.

It's nice that there are new manufacturers willing to new lever machines.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

Tony_Lotts wrote:Time to 85° C: Roughly 1 hour, dependent on ambient temperature. I'll time it this weekend.
To cool the group: I turn off machine to stall the thermosyphon for a few minutes; then turn it back on. Some L1 owners use a room temperature portafilter to cool the group, I think others wrap the group in a cold wet towel.
Sweet. Thanks for that! If you could take two data point @ 1 hour and @ 2 hour that'd be great! I will do the same too.

The cold towel will work. The room-temp portafilter method is a good one but unfortunately I only have a portafilter for the Londinium and my portafilter from other machines wouldn't fit (interestingly the Londinium's fits my Aurora though).
peacecup wrote:I use an "active" preinfusion on my home levers, that is, preinfusing the puck with piston pressure (the old Fellini move). Perhaps this is why my shots are so forgiving - the original intent was to fully saturate the puck to prepare it for the shot. Your results seem to confirm that this makes the shots almost fool-proof, which has been my experience with active preinfusion.
That's very interesting indeed. I have yet to fire up the Londinium to try the active preinfusion to confirm. I had always thought Fellini move to be tricky as it risks fracturing/disturbing the puck, but clearly an idea I have yet to test/debunk fully. I tried the 1/2 & 1 pull on Caravel but it was definitely detrimental to the shot quality, but that is no Fellini. Will come back with an update.

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

Okay...just to follow up because I have promised (albeit later by a week).. :oops:

0 min : 19C
5 min : 20C (pressurestat first cut off, and flushed a 30ml to eliminate air from the group)
30 min :66.8C
46 min : 74.1C
1 hour: 77.2 C
1.5 hour: 80.9C
2.0 hour: 82C

Probe location (bare K-thermocouple secured by silicone band):

Very similar to what EricS has measured and looks like I am reinventing the wheel. :oops: So it appears I actually prefer the brew temp when the group head is about 75-77 deg Celsius.

I also have an in-line watt meter (Powermate Lite) used for roasting so am curious what's the power consumption like ..

Those are the boring stuff..and of course it goes without saying I need to make some coffee since it's warmed up! Just some casual side-by-side comparison with the Aurora (sorry to waste some beans but I couldn't possibly finish all the shots!)..

Also, for the modified Fellini move, it seems to allow me to use finer grind on the Londinium, which is good. But it's harder to maneuver and slightly less consistent because of the skills required of the barista. :oops: