Just bought a used E61 espresso machine - best plan for a thorough cleaning?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
lrnc

#1: Post by lrnc »

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help. Past posts were very helpful to help me sketch out a plan.

I purchased this machine a couple weeks ago. It pulls a beautiful shot and I'm really happy with it. I want to do a thorough cleaning and get it up and running as smoothly as possible.

I started with changing the gasket and screen. I found a very dirty grouphead. I backflushed and scrubbed and it looks like there is rust that remained. See these pics:

Is there a way to clean this? Do I keep backflushing and scrubbing?

I'm kind of wary of drinking from this right now. I may stop until i get this cleaned up. (Although it doesn't like like it comes into contact with the brew?)

My original plan was to:

1. Change gaskets and minor parts in e61
2. Clean the mushroom
3. Open the machine and change brew pressure valve (at 10-11 bar right now)

This is my first ever machine. I'm still learning how these machines work so any help would be helpful.

I don't normally work on electronics, but can follow instructions pretty well. Thanks!

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

That's not rust, that's the brass under the chrome. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. You don't say what the machine is nor do you show a picture so it's difficult to give you much in the way of advice.

Ira

Hudson

#3: Post by Hudson »

When you take off the mushroom you may also decide to descale the machine depending on its condition. It would be helpful to know what the machine is and how old it is. Did the previous owner keep up on maintenance?
LMWDP #534

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

This page shows how to disassemble the E61 group. Removing just the mushroom, big nut at top, will give you a hint of the condition of the inside of the machine:

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/HowToE61overhaul.html

Ira

lrnc (original poster)

#5: Post by lrnc (original poster) »

Thanks! That website is helpful and I've been looking on YouTube for disassembly. I'm glad it's not rust! I guess the chrome has been off from wear and tear and there's nothing to be concerned about.

It's an Alex Duetto 3. The previous owner had it for 3-4 years. The exterior is well taken care of and in just not sure about the internal stuff. It's an amazing machine--and the previous owner was cool too.

From what I can tell, disassembly of the E61 is pretty easy. Are there any major concerns of taken it apart (easily breakable parts, etc).

I read descaling isn't good for the machine...but I'll have to do some research.

Exciting and interesting stuff.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

When you take off the mushroom, protect it so you don't scratch it. Proper size socket, well fitting wrench or wrap with tape. It won't hurt anything if you mar it, just look bad. They are not usually very tight, but they are brass and it's soft and easy to damage.

lrnc (original poster)

#7: Post by lrnc (original poster) »

Awesome. Thanks for giving me so much info! One last question about the brass--it's normal, but would you recommend anything (product, etc) that may be needed to protect it since the chrome is now off?

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

The brass is just fine as is. The chrome just makes it easier to keep clean.

Ira