Calling on any real electrical engineers - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Yuki (original poster)

#21: Post by Yuki (original poster) »

DanoM wrote:
This cuts 10 minutes off of my heatup if I'm in a hurry.
Retired here. No hurry. :D

Yuki (original poster)

#22: Post by Yuki (original poster) »

stefano65 wrote:I can say for a fact that another manufacture that I deal with has "special" electrical parts only for Japan
Sounds very mysterious and oriental. :lol:

Pretty sure if the option was there -- a genuinely reasonable cost-effective option -- I'd chose to go with gear perfectly matched to my juice. But since no one, including my own limited experience, has ever reported (to my knowledge) blowing up their house or their gear using North American espresso machines in Japan, I'm just not willing to pay the only dealer in the country more than 2x the going price of a customized MP version for the most basic AV model. There's just not any/enough competition, is the problem. And a lot of my countrymen and women are probably unwilling to explore the possibility that, hey, it just might be fine. Many Japanese are quite conservative by nature. Not all of course, just many. So there's a dealer in Japan that can take advantage of that, and they do.

Just not with me. :D

After all, let's say I expected to get 15 years out of the machine. If I only get 8 because of the electrical variance, I'm still money ahead at that price differential. The big question is "Does it work?". Seems that's not even a question.

DanoM

#23: Post by DanoM »

Yuki wrote:But I'm not sure the grids are really tied efficiently. (As you say, high tech stuff.) There's a limited capacity for transferring, which wasn't enough for the shortfall after the big quake. A good article in English about it all here in The Japan Times: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2011/0 ... UotNIR95pg
Yeah, it's my understanding that as a result of that and the nuclear power stations all being idled they had to address that specific problem. Even Hokkaido got tied in someway it seems, and it was a completely separate grid at the time.

Looking forward to that G3 I'll bet. Do you have a good source for your beans yet? (That's a whole other issue in general... I went there route of home roasting.)
LMWDP #445

Yuki (original poster)

#24: Post by Yuki (original poster) »

DanoM wrote:
Looking forward to that G3 I'll bet. Do you have a good source for your beans yet? (That's a whole other issue in general... I went there route of home roasting.)
I'm a home roaster.

bmb

#25: Post by bmb »

No electric engineer here.
However, living in Brazil, with half the country with 110 and the other half 220, and with a lifelong experience using equipment bought in USA, Europe and South America, IMHO, any robust we'll build equipment won't suffer, however cheaper, frail and electronics loaded equipment WILL fail.
All electric grids eventually suffer oscillations, well build machines, specially professional ones, will be prepared for it, cheap built machines, that use second class components normally won't stand this.