New to Huky 500T Q's about data logging

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
folkery

#1: Post by folkery »

Hey there!
I just started roasting with the Huky and so far it's a dream. I have questions about what is required to data log profiles on my computer. I already have Artisan installed which I attempted to chart however a error comes up as "minus error".
I recently saw on some threads on the Huky that I may need a phidget or some other data bridge.
What would you suggest?

Thanks!

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

Yup. Here's what you want/need
http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1048

Don't forget to get an enclosure for it...

folkery (original poster)

#3: Post by folkery (original poster) »

Wonderful, thank you. Another thing I realized I only ordered BT and MET temp probes from Mr. li. Will I also require a ET probe to plug in with the phidget? Are there alternatives to purchasing something within the states rather than from Taiwan?

SJM

#4: Post by SJM »

So your HUKY hasn't arrived yet? But it is coming with BT and MET digital and still just an analog in ET?
This is what you need:

Ordering it from Mr. Li is going to be your most efficient way of getting the right combination of T/C and mounting gear.

folkery (original poster)

#5: Post by folkery (original poster) »

I already have my Huky and have been roasting with it. I should have done more pre research into what probes I would need.

I started out roasting 1lb in aims to provide volume for wholesale. My first batch turned out good, however, underdeveloped in roast maybe due to a charge temp of 450F and my heat at 2kpa.

My second batch at 470F charge at 2kpa heat my roast went smoky after first crack and discovered later after a few more roasts my pipe was clogging with chaff.

I'm now considering seasoning my drum because I'm having to use more heat around 3kpa and decided to charge at 570F. I'm wondering if this is because of the clogging or am I just breaking in the drum so to speak?

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

First of all, the HUKY really isn't a production machine, but there are good roasters making it work at the full 454 gram charge weight.

Second, you are seasoning the drum just by using it; more than that is (IMO) unnecessary.

2 kPa? Waaaay not enough gas until you are coming into the homestretch....

hankua
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by hankua »

folkery wrote:Hey there!
I just started roasting with the Huky and so far it's a dream. I have questions about what is required to data log profiles on my computer. I already have Artisan installed which I attempted to chart however a error comes up as "minus error".
I recently saw on some threads on the Huky that I may need a phidget or some other data bridge.
What would you suggest?

Thanks!
You can also use a meter, Ebay has an inexpensive version
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-US

What are you currently using?

hankua
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hankua »

folkery wrote:I already have my Huky and have been roasting with it. I should have done more pre research into what probes I would need.

I started out roasting 1lb in aims to provide volume for wholesale. My first batch turned out good, however, underdeveloped in roast maybe due to a charge temp of 450F and my heat at 2kpa.

My second batch at 470F charge at 2kpa heat my roast went smoky after first crack and discovered later after a few more roasts my pipe was clogging with chaff.

I'm now considering seasoning my drum because I'm having to use more heat around 3kpa and decided to charge at 570F. I'm wondering if this is because of the clogging or am I just breaking in the drum so to speak?
Are you using any external air control, like a dimmer or router controller? The little damper on the Huky is tricky to use, slowing the fan down is a popular hack.

Try charging at 350f and after the TP crank the gas up to 4kPa, at 300f start tapering down the gas till it's down to 1kPa at 1C. Then make adjustments depending; if it's going too fast cut the gas off after 1C completes and coast, too slow goose the gas pre-1C, more air if its smoky.