Variables in Cold Brewing - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

Sounds like the perfect roast for Vietnamese iced coffee. The condensed milk really covers the dark, bitter flavors.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ebola5114

#12: Post by ebola5114 replying to yakster »

Thanks Chris ! I will look into it, I am with cold weather at this side of the globe but I have to do something to save these beans

Cheers!

Advertisement
dem1/4

#13: Post by dem1/4 »

thanks for the interesting post
all these are also for cold drip?

kalitbruh

#14: Post by kalitbruh »

I wonder how much ratio plays into the speed at which extraction occurs, as I imagine that a lower ratio with less water and more coffee (i.e. a concentrate) would reach a point of saturation quicker than a 1:10, and that a 1:10 may even be able to extract more in the long run given the large difference in the osmotic gradient that would occur. I imagine this could be tested via refractor if anyone would like to give it a go!

popeye

#15: Post by popeye replying to kalitbruh »

I have a refractometer, but I've never used it to verify this for cold-drip coffee. For immersion, it's quite apparent that ratio affects solubles yield (in the same way as hot coffee). I do a 1:15 immersion cold brew for 12-18 hours, but i do the same coffee for 36 hours at a 1:5 immersion to get the same yield (of course a much higher TDS, but you can water it down). It's interesting that the AVERAGE solubles yield might be the same on both coffees, but the SPECIFIC yield of the various solubles is - to my taste buds - quite different. I seem to get a higher sugar yield at the lower brew ratios, and I prefer it for immersion cold brew.

OK, that's for immersion. For cold-drip, I've only used my taste buds so far. But the length of the cold-drip brewing process (as controlled by adjusting the drip speed) seems to have a significantly lesser effect on both solubles yield and brew strength as compared to immersion. I'll try to run some TDS/yield numbers this week and post them. No promises, it's a busy week (as is every week!)
Spencer Weber

bean2friends

#16: Post by bean2friends »

yakster wrote:Sounds like the perfect roast for Vietnamese iced coffee. The condensed milk really covers the dark, bitter flavors.
This works for me with any roast but especially a dark roast. 100 grams of course ground in the 32 oz. French press. Follow with cold water from the tap. Cover with Saran and put in refrigerator for 24 hours. Press it and decant into a quart jar and add a can of sweetened condensed milk.
This is better than a chocolate milk shake.the only trouble I have is leaving it alone.

pShoe

#17: Post by pShoe »

drgary wrote:Mike at Compass Coffee starts with a flash of hot water before proceeding with an otherwise cold brew. I think this is a commin method that extracts flavors that you would otherwise miss.
Could you expand upon this method? I'd like to give it a try.

Advertisement
markmark1

#18: Post by markmark1 replying to pShoe »

I'm not Mike, but what do is boil about 15% of my water volume, then pour it over the ground coffee when temp drops to around 200(you might get a volcanic degassing if your coffee is very fresh - make sure you have at least 100% extra space in your filtering device) stir and give it a minute to steep, then I ice it down and add water to my fill level, then proceed as long as you need for your regular cold brewing.

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary replying to markmark1 »

This is about how Mike described it to me. It livens up the flavor from cold brew only.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

markmark1

#20: Post by markmark1 replying to drgary »

I feel like it gives a little more depth and either covers or negates that strange alkaloid taste that cold brew sometimes has.