New Compak E10 OD - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
newrevolution123

#21: Post by newrevolution123 »

I have the Compak E10 and have no issues to report after 10 months of use. Simply a great grinder and rock solid. A joy to have at home.
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

spiffdude

#22: Post by spiffdude »

ds wrote:Unless you have used Monolith I don't know how can you say marginally better? I had both K10 and Monolith and there is much more than marginal difference. You can follow other people's comments on Monolith thread that had K10 as well.
You're right, my statement was not very clear. What I meant to say is that the improvement would be marginal when compared to the extra cost. As in all things, the more you move into the high-end and uber high-end, the difference in performance for a given $ increase becomes quite small.

That being said, i checked the Monolith price and it seems to be around 2000 USD which is not that bad compared to the K10 (1600 USD ... that's insane, i got mine for 1700 CAD a few years back). For some reason i thought the Monolith was in the 3000$ range.

So my apologies, i should have checked my facts before posting. Carry on.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

keno

#23: Post by keno »

newrevolution123 wrote:I have the Compak E10 and have no issues to report after 10 months of use. Simply a great grinder and rock solid. A joy to have at home.
+1 after about 10 months as well.

Happy with my E10. I disassembled when I first got it (slightly used) to clean it out. Since then I've just run some Grindz through it every few months. With the 3 timed dose settings I set one for a morning purge of about 5g, another for an 18g dose, and the last for a short burst for an additional gram in case I need to top off. I use the small 300g hopper which is perfect for about 4-5 days of coffee. So convenient and easy with minimal need to adjust the grind.

I'm sure there's some retention (I haven't bothered to really try to quantify it), but it still tastes really good and I don't miss repeatedly thwacking the doser and cleaning out the chute.

BladeAndStone
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by BladeAndStone »

I find I have to purge the first 5-8g of beans if left for more than an hour or so. Otherwise the 2nd and 3rd shots are better than the first. Any one finding anything different?

newrevolution123

#25: Post by newrevolution123 »

I disassembled and cleaned my 18 months old Compak E10 grinder today (out of curiosity) and removed the conical burrs for a good cleanup.

Not the easiest thing to do but not very complicated. There are different elements that need to be removed first but the biggest takeaway is that the burrs have a reverse thread and need to be removed clockwise and put back anticlowise (which is a bit weird the first time). There is no information on the cleaning of the burrs in the manufacturer's manual, which is a shame.

If you guys ever need any specific information on this , let me know and I will try help.
"Success is something you attract by the person you become.” -- Jim Rohn

stefano

#26: Post by stefano »

It seems like the E10 may be one of the pickiest grinders Ive ever owned. Really needs to be clean to perform well.

BladeAndStone
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by BladeAndStone replying to stefano »

This had not been my experience. How old is yours? Perhaps a function of how seasoned the burrs are versus the grinder itself?

stefano

#28: Post by stefano »

I think my problem ended up being having the grinder too close to the espresso machine. The steam wand was clumping the grind and needed more curtain cleaning and adjustment because of it. It's been great since moving it to the other side of the espresso machine!

stefano

#29: Post by stefano »

:lol:
newrevolution123 wrote:This grinder rocks.