Quick Mill Alexia w/ PID usage

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bradenl123

#1: Post by bradenl123 »

Just bought a used Quick Mill Alexia w/ PID.....upgraded from a Saeco Poemia. I have a few questions...

Should I steam first or make my shot first?

What should my PID be set around is the SV 22-26 ish (current setting is 201)?

How do I configure the PID for steam and switch the PID to steam? ( I read the manual and its really technical [ I have a degree in History])

Any other tips?

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

Braden,

Congrats on the machine. This was my first "real" espresso machine. I'll do my best to answer your questions.
1. Should I steam first or make my shot first?

2. What should my PID be set around is the SV 22-26 ish (current setting is 201)?

3. How do I configure the PID for steam and switch the PID to steam? ( I read the manual and its really technical [ I have a degree in History])

4. Any other tips?
1. Brew first, then steam. In order to steam you need MUCH higher temps in your single boiler, and those higher temps will push your brew boiler temp way too high for brewing.

2. This depends on what PID you have and if your offset has been calculated into the PID. Any idea if this came from Heightechespresso or Chris Coffee; professionally installed or done by previous owner? You'll need a SCACE to test it for sure, but those are expensive, and I'm making an assumption you don't have one. Contact the original owner and ask if the offset has been programmed in would be my recommendation. You could also just adjust to taste.

3. I had a single stage PID - could adjust brew temp only. My steam was still controlled by the pressurestat and activated by the steam switch on the front panel.

4. As soon as I lifted the lever to start pulling shot I would flip the steam heating element switch to engage the new higher temp setting. This would do two things: keep the temp rock steady while brewing, and shorten the time needed to reach steaming temp (~260F).

If pulling multiple shots, brew first then steam. Cooling the boiler down from steaming takes quite a while.

Hope this helps.

Just My $.02
Merle

bradenl123 (original poster)

#3: Post by bradenl123 (original poster) »

Thank you, I am not sure where the machine was originally purchased. When scrolling through the PID settings I get to a point that says -24 CAL or something of that nature so I assume its offset by 24 F. Either way I am not too concerned and will just go by taste. Thanks a lot for the help I appreciate it.