La Pavoni Europiccola v2.3, piston and chrome questions

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
doelauw

#1: Post by doelauw »

Hi all,

First post. I have to start with saying "thanks". Used many of your topics to learn the all about La Pavoni machines. I'm new to espresso making but not new to coffee, been brewing some time. I like my coffee slow, manual ... no need to explain why I got myself a europiccola.

So I found this machine, a version 2.3. Initially looked pretty good on some chrome chipping a side. Now I've take apart the whole machine, except removing the boiler from the base. Cleaned and rinsed. Rubbers were dull, specially the piston rubbers! Machine is not too bad but concerned about two things, chrome and piston quality. On both I was unable to find a solid answer on my own.

Piston damage
The pison looks to have a dent in the head's corner. My guess would be that this will not impact the operation.

Also the top plate of the piston looks not brass, haven't seen this kind of pison on other restoration projects.

Chrome
At the head where the lever crossed the chrome broke a bit. I can see the brass behind it. Would anyone have a tip to either fix it or change of losing more in this area?

Now waiting for a service kit to arrive!

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

That piston does look a bit odd. Luckily La Pavoni pistons are fairly inexpensive and readily available new or used.
As for the chrome group I find it hard to see the damage in question due to the glare.
Can you point to the issue or take a photo from another perspective or angle minimizing light refection.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

doelauw (original poster)

#3: Post by doelauw (original poster) »

Here are more details.

Where a expert is reading, this is the size of the thread of my sight glass top, 12mm external. According to this site, http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... ep_eng.htm the nanometer should fit without a adapter? Always thought a adapter was needed. Can't seem to find what the actual gauge adapter size is, or might the threading be different?

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

doelauw wrote:Where a expert is reading, this is the size of the thread of my sight glass top, 12mm external. According to this site, http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... ep_eng.htm the nanometer should fit without a adapter? Always thought a adapter was needed. Can't seem to find what the actual gauge adapter size is, or might the threading be different?
You still need a fitting. Since you have the older M12x1 (12mm OD and 1mm thread pitch) fitting you have the option of using the standard La Pavoni fitting for the professional model (part 3120104, raccordo manometro in chrome.) This would give you the correct fit for a stock Pavoni gauge which has a male 1/8" BSP fitting.

Your other option would be to use one of the aftermarket adapters, being sure to get the 12mm rather than the 11mm adapter. Caution though - those that I'm aware of (R Penney, Wiley Cafe, etc) take a 1/8" NPT gauge, which is great here in the states because we can use an NPT gauge from the hardware store or an Omega. People do use these NTP adapters with the stock BSP gauge even though they aren't an exact match*. You use teflon tape or a sealant on the gauge fitting.

* 1/8" BSP has 28 threads per inch, 1/8" NPT has 27 threads per inch. The major outside diameter of NPT is a tad over 10mm, and the major outside diameter of BSP is a tad under 10mm.

Edit addition: FWIW, my stock La Pavoni Gauge fitting has BSPP (parallel threads) - I just pulled it to make sure. There was no taper at all over the 6 threads of the gauge. (A BSPT fitting would taper more than 0.3 mm over those 6 threads.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

Re your earlier question about the color of the top of the piston:
doelauw wrote:Also the top plate of the piston looks not brass, haven't seen this kind of pison on other restoration projects.
I suppose it's possible that the top of the piston was exposed to corrosive water that leached zinc out of the brass. That would give it a less yellow hue, sometimes even pinkish. Not sure how likely this possibility might be. Even If so, I doubt it would be structurally weakened enough to matter. If it comes back to a brass color after mild abrasive polishing it should be fine. Otherwise, If it worries you new pistons are not very expensive to replace.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#6: Post by doelauw (original poster) »

Great feedback, thanks that and the info! The piston seems to get a bit better when polishing. If I get myself a electric tool with polishing cloth I'm sure I can make the pink less visible.

Any suggestions for the chrome? I'm thinking of applying some sort of coating to make sure the chrome doesn't chip further.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

I would guess that the piston should be okay once you polish off the layer of gunk on top and install seals. It's worth a try before replacing. The worn chrome on the group is common. The remaining chrome is very hard. Clearcoat would degrade much faster. I would just clean it up and enjoy using it.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

coffee cat

#8: Post by coffee cat »

Piston nick is irrelevant, doesn't effect mechanical performance. Oxidized top of the piston is the result of exposure to sulphuric acid (someone tried to descale with the strong stuff), which is fine, but element and any other base metal should not come in contact with acid, it will create chemical corrosion.Chrome? who cares, just scars of long and hard life.No solution, but redo the whole thing.
Enjoy your new toy.
Jack

#9: Post by doelauw (original poster) »

Thanks for the info all!

I actually managed to get the brass in better shape with "Brasso", rubber gloves, cloths, effort and patients.

Now all is assembled again including a pressurestat! Pulling my first shots, much harder than I initially thought it would be. Might be also caused by my Lido ET that keeps moving settings on lower setting level, but when I lock the ring tighter I get burr rub :( .

One more pavoni machine related question. I Had the idea that the brew head would mainly take water. But I notice lots of steam when I open the lever. I would expect more water than steam. For some reason I'm starting to question of there is a possibility my boiler water pipe isn't working properly or leaking above. I tried to judge this over youtube movies but none seem to show pull without portafilter.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

From here the discussion turned to what to expect when using this machine. I've split off that conversation to a new thread in the Levers forum. Here's that thread.

Dialing in a 2nd Generation La Pavoni Europiccola
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!