Grinder Project - Update

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
MB

#1: Post by MB »

After being so happy with my Single Dose, Low Retention Grinder Project I'm ready to step out a little further with a new project that I am going to use for work. Here is the criteria:

- Large conical burr set
- Motorized
- Quiet operation
- Super low or no retention
- Single dose
- Easy and clean workflow
- Adjustable speed
- Counter top unit
- Not too tall

I'm planning on utilizing the basic structural concepts of the Voodoo Daddy'd Pharos. I'll be building upon a few of the things I learned from my wall mounted grinder (linked above). Only this time I'm building it all including some parts designed and sourced for machining, plus I'll use the same sized burr set.

Here is a little teaser:

UPDATE: See this post for the video of it in action.
LMWDP #472

MB (original poster)

#2: Post by MB (original poster) »

The image above is a bean funnel which rotates to cover the opening before grinding. It also has 2-degree markings for relative adjustments.

And here is an update showing the overall design:

LMWDP #472

MB (original poster)

#3: Post by MB (original poster) »

Trying to get a feel for what the top section will look like.

LMWDP #472

MB (original poster)

#4: Post by MB (original poster) »

I finished the inner box for the motor, and the sound reducing MLV is all cut.
LMWDP #472

MB (original poster)

#5: Post by MB (original poster) »

Here's a look at the business end of the grinder propped up on on a basket funnel. I still have bolt trimming, finishing and polishing to do, but I thought you might like a look.

Here's where the beans go in. I have ordered a revised bean funnel, since this one was too low resolution and the markings too fine.

LMWDP #472

Headala

#6: Post by Headala »

Love projects like this; keep the updates coming! I guess the 3d printed parts don't flex out of spec?

MB (original poster)

#7: Post by MB (original poster) replying to Headala »

I'll keep the updates coming. The various versions of the 3D parts were all pretty good as far as not flexing out of spec. Only the bottom outer perimeter seems to have a very minor protruding edge in some of them as though the first layer sitting on the warm bed settled a bit. The Shapeways version looks and is done the best. Under the bean funnel ring I added a little extra margin in the design to accommodate the bolt heads, and leave room for alignment and any 3D printing issues. It rotates nicely.
LMWDP #472

dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

I was really impressed with your work in the last project, I can't wait to see how this one turns out.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

MB (original poster)

#9: Post by MB (original poster) »

After re-reading Headala's question above, maybe I should clarify that only the black bean funnel and upper socket cover ring are 3D printed.

As far as flexing is concerned I have beefed up this grinder compared to the last one (not that I felt the earlier one was lacking at all). The more critical support plates and the lower bearing support are machined from 1/4 inch 6061 T6 aluminum. The plates are thicker than on my Pharos grinder, and the bearing support has three legs instead of the two which are on the VVD part of the same function. I recall that the legs are a bit thicker too, as I have a solution to keep the grounds from catching and piling up on them. More on that later.
LMWDP #472

Headala

#10: Post by Headala replying to MB »

Cool