Adventures of an espresso enthusiast on a budget - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Adamned21 (original poster)

#31: Post by Adamned21 (original poster) »

The beans were not just roasted. I purchased from espressozone and according to the packaging they were roasted in December of 2016.

AN

Bossman

#32: Post by Bossman »

escape wrote:Just curious, but how old are these Kimbo beans when they reach you? I'm guessing it takes some time for them to reach US. Or are they rosted in the US just before being shipped to you?
Check out the big Italian coffee threads, there are a couple of them. The Italian bar blends are meant to work when stale compared to what we are used to. I know its weird but I have been enjoying both Kimbo Superior and Lavaza Super Crema the last 6 weeks. I bought them in 2.2lb bags and froze them in small jelly jars. I have noticed no loss at all from freezing and using them up withing a day or two once thawed.

I am almost out though, I just ordered a 5 lb bag of Bodka's Ala Italia Espresso and I can't wait for it to get here!

Advertisement

#33: Post by Adamned21 (original poster) replying to Bossman »

Please keep us posted on how the bodka turns out. That might very well be my next purchase.

AN

#34: Post by Adamned21 (original poster) »

I took my kids to starbucks yesterday to get that unicorn drink. I typically don't go to starbucks on my own accord. Anyhow I thought I would try a shot of espresso while I waited. It amazing that such a big and profitable company like starbucks would have such atrocious espresso, I mean really really horrible. I understand that their customer base does not prefer espresso so it doesn't really matter financially. But just as a matter of honor how could Howard Schultz have such a poor espresso offering. I guess he is similar to Adolphus Busch as he has been quoted as saying he would never drink that slop budweiser, the same goes for starbucks' slop, I can't imagine Howie actually drinking the slop.

AN

escape

#35: Post by escape »

Heh... I ordered a small latte from SB the other day... It was so weak, it felt like there was no coffee in there at all. Can't wait to get home and make some Vivace Dolce later today.

Bossman

#36: Post by Bossman »

Adamned21 wrote:Please keep us posted on how the bodka turns out. That might very well be my next purchase.

AN
I got my Ala Italia last Saturday and froze it. I finished the last of my Kimbo Superior and finally pulled a shot of the Bodka Ala Italia this morning and it was great!! Very large volume of crema and it was very smooth and balanced. I don't drink a lot of straight espresso but I drank 3 straight doubles this morning and enjoyed them very much. I will have to wait until tomorrow to see how it does in milk, 3 doubles is my limit for the day lol.

#37: Post by Adamned21 (original poster) replying to Bossman »

Thanks for the update. That will be my next order. I think for it to make sense financially I will have to get the 5 pounds. The wife will not be happy with the freezer completely filled with Mason jars of beans.

My last purchase was of kimbo extra cream. I was disappointed with it when pulled from my gaggia. Have been drinking it all week and not enjoying it. Got out the French press this morning and surprisingly it was kind of tasty. I did 54g coffee on grind setting 29, 24oz water and let brew for 8 minutes. Definitely prefer that brew method for these specific beans.

AN

Advertisement

#38: Post by Adamned21 (original poster) »

Machine: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Grinder setting:5
Dose: 16G
Extraction time: 30 sec
Ratio: 1:2

Beans: Lavazza Super Crema

I finally finished my supply of kimbo extra cream and opened up Lavazza Super Crema. Not outstanding but quite good. A welcome relief from the previous beans. The one good thing about the extra cream it got me back into my french press on the weekends when I have the time. Now I need to compare and contrast beans with both methods. Thinking about sneaking an aeropress into the house but my wife will kill me as I'm not permitted to purchase anymore coffee related equipment.

AN

Bossman

#39: Post by Bossman replying to Adamned21 »

I liked the Lavazza Super Crema very much. I like the Kimbo Superior slightly better, but I was using them interchangeably for the most part. They both performed great at the same setting on my K30.

As a side note, I found another 8 or so jars of Redbird in my freezer and I am using those up before going back to the Bodka. Redbird use to be my favorite, but I like the Ala Italia, Kimbo Superior and the lavazza Super Crema better than the Redbird. I think I just really prefer the old school comforty espresso blends over the slightly brighter Redbird. Still good though, not like I am hating drinking it! :P

escape

#40: Post by escape »

Which Redbird specifically?