Technivorm newbie question

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
JFDUP

#1: Post by JFDUP »

So I just received by KBT-741. I'm pretty amazed at how clean and simple it is. I'm going to be using the machine primarily for smaller batches (about 750 ml).

What technique are you guys using?

For my first attempt, I used the transcendcoffee method: 750 ml of water, 45 g of coffee. Valve shut for first 30 seconds with a stir at 30 seconds followed by the opening of the valve and a stir at 1:30.

What method (dose) would you recommend? Does it really make a big difference if you stir the coffee mid brew?

Right now I'm using a Lido E for grinding, but I have a Baratza Encore in the mail to make the process even easier.

Thanks!

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

That's the unit I once had. It does a fine job, no frills, very reliable. I basically did the same thing you're doing. If the coffee is too fresh, the outgassing can prevent even saturation, so I was generally always in there with a spoon. It gives you the option of slightly coarsening your grind since you're increasing extraction via agitation.

About 45 seconds into the brew, you're usually able to plop on the lid over the basket and let it finish undisturbed. I wouldn't fixate too hard on timing for opening the drain valve. As long as the grinds are evenly wet, early on, you can open it up. I didn't notice too drastic of a difference by keeping it closed any longer than necessary.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

JFDUP (original poster)

#3: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

Thanks! I'm going to try my next pot with a little less stirring to see if it changes the result. I like the simplicity of the system. Very clean and easy to use.

JFDUP (original poster)

#4: Post by JFDUP (original poster) »

What type of #4 filter do you recommend? I fought some for cheap at a store near my work, GK Connaisseur filters.

Should I get the Melittas or?

Richard

#5: Post by Richard »

JFDUP wrote:What type of #4 filter do you recommend?
Filtropa is the go-to filter brand. Sweet Maria's is one source.
-- Richard

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC replying to Richard »

^ This. I only liked Filtropa.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

docholiday

#7: Post by docholiday »

Ive had a Technivorm for as long as I can remember. I basically do the same technique. 45 grams, 750ml. Pre-wet the filter. Leave the lever closed until water fully saturates the coffee bed and allows it to bloom. Then when it's about 3/4ths full, give it a good stir and open the lever. I usually walk off at this point to resume morning routine for a few minutes. If I'm still around I give it a "Rao spin" when I see it's done adding water. Basically just close the lever, lift the basket a tiny bit and give it a quick swirl and open it back up. It's a pour over trick that makes the coffee bed end up flat after extraction. I see the Technivorm as basically a pourover cheat/hack anyway.