Best Conical - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
bachampion (original poster)
Sponsor

#21: Post by bachampion (original poster) »

FotonDrv wrote:The OP never said what he is doing with the conical. Commercial coffee shop? Home use exclusively? Portable for pop up coffee stands?
I'm researching grinder designs at the moment, not really looking at specific applications. Basically what's been posted here I then try to find as much detail about it as I can, what features it has that makes the grind quality better than the rest.
Decent Espresso

mikekarcic

#22: Post by mikekarcic »

ds wrote:I think that is a pure hype for couple of reasons, one being that no burr is perfectly concentric, let alone Italian burrs so rub is guaranteed and build into the function of the burrs. Second is that I have tried Kinu grinder and it rubs just like any other grinder adjusted fine. I tested it with Feldgrind and Helor and Kinu is not any better or worse...
The hype is real. I can confirm, zero burr rub at absolute zero. I was quite confused when I tried to grind my first batch and the grounds didn't make it into the catch cup.

Advertisement
ds

#23: Post by ds replying to mikekarcic »

I'm sorry but that does not make sense. Zero is defined as point of burrs touching...

cheez

#24: Post by cheez replying to ds »

Can confirm it too, just as dozens of other Kinu owners on the German board. There is zero burr rub way beyond the point of grinder choking fineness.

CwD

#25: Post by CwD replying to cheez »

I think his point is that the burrs inherently rub on a true zero. If the burrs aren't touching yet, then it could be tightened further, and until it's fully tight it's still an above zero setting. Even if it would choke any machine or even couldn't reasonably output coffee.

mikekarcic

#26: Post by mikekarcic »

ds wrote:I'm sorry but that does not make sense. Zero is defined as point of burrs touching...
Okay, let me rephrase. At marked 0, and where fully tightened, there is absolutely zero rub.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by RockyIII replying to mikekarcic »

Are you talking about zero on the adjustment collar? That is just for reference, and it seems unlikely that it is the actual point where the burrs touch. But maybe! :?

Rocky

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by samuellaw178 »

From my understanding there's a physical mechanism that prevents the burrs from fully touching, ie the 'true zero', which is different from the 'marked zero'. It's probably a smart move to prevent people from overthinking about burr rubs. :D

g3dahl

#29: Post by g3dahl »

Ay, there's the rub!
LMWDP #569. Long live lever lovers!