Eric's E61 thermometer: Are there style options?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TheHainster

#1: Post by TheHainster »

I know this is an odd question, but I am interested in the eric Thermo, but don't like the thermometer style. While it's a great device, I think the Taylor digital face is wrong on a beautiful Italian machine. I mean, you spend this money on a beautiful chrome machine and place an ugly thermometer right on the front of it.

Are there any options for a classier style thermo face?

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

If any thermometer you find has a probe diameter of 0.151", it MAY be capable of being modified to use. This will not be a fun exercise because it will involve me finding your particular thermometer, ensuring it is easy to disassemble, and capable of being modified.

I hope you can envision the legwork involved.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
TheHainster (original poster)

#3: Post by TheHainster (original poster) »

erics wrote:I hope you can envision the legwork involved.
Yes, totally. I would be willing to do the leg work and give you my results. I noticed early on, instructions on building your device. Again, it was early in my research and learning curve. I assume those instructions were yours? If so, would it be possible to use them as a guide for me to search options?

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

Personally, I think that it looks fine, and the functionality is most important.
Scott
LMWDP #248

James Mulryan

#5: Post by James Mulryan »

Wish there was a chrome version to match the E61 head.
Maybe one could spray paint the black plastic portion with silver?
Or maybe there is an adventurous machinist amongst clan HB that could create a metal slip on? Or 3 D printed slip on?
Maybe this is all a bit too much to modify--but the thermometer totally rocks and is staying right where it is as long as I own my HX.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

If the look offends, use a thermocouple and wrap it around to a display on the countertop. Nicholas did that for an Elektra T1:

From Elektra T1 - # 759 built in 1999 is now mine

Or, if you really want to get fancy, drill from the back of the group into the brew chamber and install a thermcouple from inside the case; nothing would show on the exterior at all. You'd have to adapt your flush routine since it would be different from others who have the thermometer installed upstream.
Dan Kehn

TheHainster (original poster)

#7: Post by TheHainster (original poster) »

erics wrote:If any thermometer you find has a probe diameter of 0.151", it MAY be capable of being modified to use.
Taylor has a 516 Connoisseur Series. I'm trying to get the specs on it. I wonder if its the same, given its a Taylor and similar to yours.

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I've often wondered if an analogue version might be more useful in that a needle might be a better indicator of 'trends'. I realize that the inertia of a needle movement might be a detriment but I know that in other electronic applications, such as tuning a transmitter, there's nothing like an analogue meter movement!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

I am fairly certain the Taylor 516 will work BUT the assembly process is a little more complex if I remember correctly. I did use a similar Taylor model a few years back on a temporary basis (explanation is complex).

An analog thermometer cannot be modified to work because of the manner of its construction.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

r7

#10: Post by r7 »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:I've often wondered if an analogue version might be more useful in that a needle might be a better indicator... there's nothing like an analogue meter movement!
+1

I would love to see someone run with this. I remember driving a car with an early digital speedometer. It made me feel partially blind in that it did not convey nearly as much information as a good analogue speedo.