How to steam milk for small drinks like cortado? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JimL

#11: Post by JimL »

I use a small Toroid 12oz pitcher, and have just 4oz milk. My machine will steam it within 14s usually. I adjust the tip for a cortado, so I end up with plenty of microfoam.

duna

#12: Post by duna »

I drink a macchiato every morning and I need to steam around 100-120 cubic centimeters / 3-4 ounces of milk if you prefer. Used to need a proper 250cc Motta Europa or Alessi model 103/25 pitcher to do it on my Oscar II, that has a fairly powerful 4 holes steam wand. With practice, I can do it now with every pitcher up to 600 cubic centimeters (20 ounces) even if with such small quantity of milk. I tested on Ikea steel pitchers, that are no good for latte art (the spout isn't suited) but are perfectly fine to prepare all the cortado or macchiato or cappuccino you can ever need and are also inexpensive, and pretty decently made (..in China or India...) with a somehow thick stainless steel gauge sheet. No comparison of course with Motta pitchers, that are nice pro tools, or the magnificent 103 Alessi ( a classic of modern design, built like a jewel, and almost as much expensive) but the milk from an Ikea one is absolutely as good as that from the top design pitchers (the spout isn't, though). I really like the Ikea pitchers and use routinely 3 of them, much more than my Alessi ones, as I can throw them in the dishwasher without any fear for their finish.

achosid (original poster)

#13: Post by achosid (original poster) »

Ended up with the Rattleware Macchiato pitcher. Works great! Very happy with it.