Baratza Settes that die early? - Page 6

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Simspresso

#51: Post by Simspresso »

Mine had a serial # 170... and 120volts. and died on the 2nd day of using it! Display problem... :shock: it would be lit but no digits or anything. Pushing any buttons did no help. Tried unplugging it for a long time to attempt some kind of reset, tried also to leaving it plugged in for long period of time to no avail. BUT, after a few days, I plugged it in and some digits started to show as if it was booting up, got fed up and returned the grinder. So, 2nd grinder that also starts with 170... serial and Im keeping my fingers crossed! It performs great though!! :D

Anybody knows if Vario or Forte had similar issues when they were initially sold?
The art of espresso is so under rated...and my girlfriend does not understand it!!!

r7

#52: Post by r7 »

The 270W was delivered today. It is serial number 170000... low single digit. It appears to have the newer portafilter forks and holder bar and the newer Etzinger and Acacia logos. Not sure about the feet since I don't really know what the older and newer feet even look like.

It was used as a "photography model" and sold at an open box discount, but opening the box and seeing it packed in all its original materials I would never be able to notice the difference. Hopefully it will not become an entry in this "die early" thread!

Do you 270 owners recommend I start out with one shim or use it first?

Simspresso

#53: Post by Simspresso »

r7 wrote:The 270W was delivered today.Hopefully it will not become an entry in this "die early" thread!

Do you 270 owners recommend I start out with one shim or use it first?
I sure hope it does not... same here! :)

As for the shims, it all depends on your machine and what it requires to reach espresso nirvana, as for me I had to add one shim right off the bat as without one would lead to too much flow/fast extraction. I am standing (depending on coffee) at around 7E ishh.

Enjoy!
The art of espresso is so under rated...and my girlfriend does not understand it!!!

goodboyr

#54: Post by goodboyr »

I have had my replacement 270W for a week now. It had the adjacent 170 series serial number to my previous 270W, so they were made at the same time. Unlike my previous one, this one has the gap (this is discussed in the main sette user experience thread) even all the way around the support. This one worked like a charm right out of the box. Consistent weights within .1 gm every time.
There was another question about the motor death issue. I found this link and it seems to indicate that the affected grinders were before October 2016

http://www.baratza.com/service-issue/motor-failure/

McPickle

#55: Post by McPickle replying to goodboyr »

Good find! I believe this is the first official statement about the motor issue.
Unfortunately, they don't state the affected serial numbers. According to my survey just having a 170... serial number doesn't mean you're safe. At least they are sending out replacements right away.

Simon345

#56: Post by Simon345 »

goodboyr wrote:I have had my replacement 270W for a week now. It had the adjacent 170 series serial number to my previous 270W, so they were made at the same time. Unlike my previous one, this one has the gap (this is discussed in the main sette user experience thread) even all the way around the support. This one worked like a charm right out of the box. Consistent weights within .1 gm every time.
There was another question about the motor death issue. I found this link and it seems to indicate that the affected grinders were before October 2016

http://www.baratza.com/service-issue/motor-failure/

I suspect that this link may stop working over the next 33 minutes or so......

goodboyr

#57: Post by goodboyr »

Found using google, so pretty public at this point.... :D

Simon345

#58: Post by Simon345 »

Actually good point. Perhaps its something that has changed to being publicly available to increase transparency for customers and potential customers (which is a very smart move for Baratza). Transparency like this makes me still want to buy one of these grinders once current issues stabilise.

This one was also on google search:

https://www.baratza.com/service-issue/

McPickle

#59: Post by McPickle »

Baratza killed both links. Here is a list of the current Sette 270 problems they had listed for those who missed it:

- Motor Failure
- Blown Fuse
- Motor runs continuously and cannot be stopped by pressing Stop
- Grinder discharge funnel clogging with coffee
- Accumulation of coffee grounds preventing re-installation of the lower burr/adjustment assembly
- Drifting or self adjusting Micro grind adjuster
- Incorrect weight dosed

Edit: If you're curious about the motor failure issue here is the data that's been collected from forum users:
Sette Failure Form: https://goo.gl/forms/9LW9EOAAlWkikuT02

View Responses: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12GGfEE ... wanalytics

ash4889

#60: Post by ash4889 »

I am so happy didn't purchase that machine, seen nothing but horror stories on it. I've had my share of bad experiences with Baratza with different machines and totally lost faith in them as a company, hope you poor guys get satisfaction soon.