Cleaning the inside of the drum of your roaster.

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Moxiechef »

Is this something that needs to be done? My roaster is 5 years old, I've only had it for four months. I'm guessing the interior of the drum has never been cleaned. Is this something that should be done? If so, how and how often?

Thanks,

JB

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I've never cleaned mine. Your post made me go look...clean as can be, despite many roasts. I think the greens must scour it quite well and the high temperatures possibly burn off anything that might be left. Just guessing :D

Advertisement
Devin H

#3: Post by Devin H »

Yeah, the heat should take care of most of it along with the coffee rolling around. Maybe if you did Italian or French roast every time you'd have something but even then I'd think the heat would burn it off.

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

I don't think it's necessary at all just by watching professional roasters in their daily routines. They roast successive batches through the days, weeks and years and don't clean the inside of the drum. Cleaning ventilation pipes and such is a different matter, depending on the roaster, and some of the professional ones are self-cleaning. For my 1 Kg home roaster the exiting air isn't hot enough to ignite anything, especially since chaff collection on my machine is done with a roasting chamber tray, a cooling tray fan with collecting bag on the duct, and a cyclone fan. I also clean up after each session with a shop vac in the roasting chamber, cyclone fan and inside the drum. I suppose over time the vent pipe could get crud inside that clogs it, but I don't think I'll do that many home roasts ever.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Moxiechef (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

Thanks y'all.

TJB

#6: Post by TJB »

At our roasterie the inside of the drum is super coated in coffee oils. It's build up from many years of continuous production roasting. Nothing to worry about.

SAS
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by SAS »

I suppose over time the vent pipe could get crud inside that clogs it, but I don't think I'll do that many home roasts ever.
Taken off someone's Craig's List Posting

I recommend cleaning out your exhaust pipe. Hose it off outside. Drip dry.
A clean pipe promotes better airflow.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.