ROK grinder tips please! :)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Zhenning92

#1: Post by Zhenning92 »

Hello,

I am new as a member but frequent this site often. I have a rok espresso maker and it works great paired with a decent grinder. I used the Handground grinder and it worked well but took forever for espresso so I got a rok grinder yesterday. It squeaks all the way around almost even after I added the lubricant like the instruction video says. This morning I was realigning the burrs because I just couldn't get fine enough for espresso and while I was reassembling it. One of the grub screws stripped because I think the thread on the grinder was too small. This made it difficult to screw in and ultimately leading to it stripping it. I can't screw it in or take it out. I contacted the company about it. Anyone else have this problem? Any tips on making it work properly would be helpful. Overall the grind is fast and fairly easy. Just need to get the little minor problems worked out (which I knew there would be the potential problems like squeaky, not fine enough grind etc but they could be fixed with a little love and care). This version has the steel burrs and replacement burr key. Thank you for all of your help :):) :D

dmw010

#2: Post by dmw010 »

There's a lot of discussion of adjustments and mods in this thread:

ROK Coffee Grinder - Owner Impressions

I got replacement grub screws from Whole Latte Love (the US distributor), and they were much higher quality than the original ones.

I gave up on the ROK grinder for espresso and bought a Helor 101, but maybe you'll have better luck using it with the ROK espresso maker.

Zhenning92 (original poster)

#3: Post by Zhenning92 (original poster) »

Thank you for the reply. Im here in Korea so Im trying to figure out what I can do about it. Its unfortunate. The reviews all seem really great (except for the forum). The squeaking all around was intense, made it louder than an electric grinder. I think it has to do with the bushings (they are not bearings). Did you have a bad squeak? The video Rok posted didnt help much.

dmw010

#4: Post by dmw010 »

I had some squeaking from the handle when I got the grinder. I put some Dow 111 lubricant between the moving parts and no sound since them.

Cigarman

#5: Post by Cigarman »

My advice based on about 6 months of use is to throw it away. (or mod it, I have no experience with that)

I did dogedly used mine quite awhile, putting up with the messyness and static, etc. but it developed very loud noise and very hard turning despite lube and cleaning. ROK customer support was, lets just say not optimal.

SunSurfH2o

#6: Post by SunSurfH2o replying to Cigarman »

i most definitely had a lot of messiness first week or so but recently i'm getting zero static and absolutely no idea what changed. no rdt or wdt going on here. only thing i did was disassemble to try the stepped option, then back to stepless and a one-time centering calibration. hope this lasts! :D

Andrew

SunSurfH2o

#7: Post by SunSurfH2o »

SunSurfH2o wrote:i most definitely had a lot of messiness first week or so but recently i'm getting zero static and absolutely no idea what changed. no rdt or wdt going on here. only thing i did was disassemble to try the stepped option, then back to stepless and a one-time centering calibration. hope this lasts! :D

<image>
a little later, with a different bean, this! so it looks like the bean and/or roast profile had a lot to do with the static issue
Andrew

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema »

I bought a ROK before they released. Concepts looked great. When I saw what was delivered I sold it before I ground a single bean.

Now that OE is updating the Pharos to address the basic usability issues we all modified ours to do, I wouldn't hesitate to move on to that grinder.