Best digital scale for weighing espresso - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
RikC

#31: Post by RikC »

Well, the Lunar also has portafilter pad that comes with it. Works well with my double spout La Marzocco pf which is designed to be able to stand upright as is visible on the photo below. If I'm correct ECM portafilters have the same type of design...

I disabled all weighing modes except the auto tare and auto start of the timer when flow is detected and manual mode. So I can easily switch between those two by holding the power button for a second. No need for an extra scale for now as long as I weigh with the double spout pf.

r7

#32: Post by r7 »

Someone should invent a tray that will snap onto the scale and hold a PF. I know I would buy one!
It may not snap on the scale, but this looks like it would do the job for you:

https://decentespresso.com/portafilter_stand

Bossman

#33: Post by Bossman replying to r7 »

nice, that is cool!

Charlene

#34: Post by Charlene »

r7 wrote:It may not snap on the scale, but this looks like it would do the job for you:

https://decentespresso.com/portafilter_stand
ummm... that is the exact portafilter stand I have.

Brownmb5 (original poster)

#35: Post by Brownmb5 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the opinions/thoughts. I have gone back and forth between the acaia lunar and the brewista smart scale 2. I watched a couple YT videos (closely) on the lunar to see the auto-timer reaction (a feature i'm interested in to time from 1st drip) and in all the videos the auto-timer did not kick on until around .8-1 grams were in the cup...a definite delay. The Brewista 2 had the same performance. So if I'm gonna time manually it appeared a little easier with the brewista 2 since it has dedicated buttons. And with the price so much higher on the acaia (and the reaction time really close) it makes sense, for me anyway, to go with the Brewista 2 (especially since I did not need the app functionality). I ordered from Seattle Coffee Gear b/c they were the only seller I found to have both the lunar and the brewista 2 so if I don't like the brewista 2 I can exhange for the lunar. Thanks again everyone!

jchung

#36: Post by jchung »

If you want a low cost scale... I think this one is the best https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QF ... UTF8&psc=1

It measure to 0.01g which means that when you have 0.1g changes in weight (e.g. you scoop some out of the basket) then it re-measures quickly. I used to have one that could measure to 0.1g, but anytime I changed the weight in the basket, it would take a couple seconds for the scale to register the change. The 0.01g scale doesn't have this problem. Its very responsive for the price.

But looks like the one I got is no longer sold by Amazon. Here is an equivalent scale https://www.amazon.com/GDEALER-Digital- ... ords=0.01g

Just $13. You could buy 15 or more of them for the cost of a Lunar

I used it for quite some time before my wife bought me the Lunar.

For the price, I would have stuck with the $13 scale. But I do think the Lunar is the better scale. But not $200 better.

jchung

#37: Post by jchung »

Bossman wrote:One thing none of the scales have that I know of, is a PF holder. With my Brewista II if I use a bottomless then I can rest it in the plastic tray the scale came in but its still a bit awkward. Someone should invent a tray that will snap onto the scale and hold a PF. I know I would buy one!
Here is one I designed and printed on a 3D printer. I use it on my Lunar all the time. 3D printed portafilter rest for the AWS SC-2kg scale

I also designed one that fits on the $13 scales too. ITs earlier in that thread.

Charlene

#38: Post by Charlene replying to jchung »

That's really cool, Chung. I think 3-D printing is awesome!

Only reason I don't use the Lunar for both shot weight measurement, via the DE portafilter stand, and pre & post grind dose measurements is simply for the sake of convenience. That is where the Pearl comes in.