Roast Magazine, "The Book of Roast"

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
farmroast

#1: Post by farmroast »

Roast Magazine has just released, "The Book of Roast"
http://roastmagazine.com/bookofroast/
The Book of Roast: The Craft of Coffee Roasting from Bean to Business is a compilation of articles previously published in Roast (plus a few book-only exclusives). The nearly 500-page tome covers the history of coffee roasting, coffee production, the science of coffee and roasting, roasting techniques, and the basics of running a coffee roasting business.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

SAS
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by SAS »

The price is $125.00. :shock:
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

farmroast (original poster)

#3: Post by farmroast (original poster) replying to SAS »

Might be worth it for a few newbies thinking about getting into the business. But the price :shock: certainly stopped me from jumping on the read.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

Roasty
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Roasty »

This piqued my interest, as someone planning to start their own coffee roasting business in the near future. But $125 gave me pause, and I'm wondering if I already know 95% of whats in it . . .

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I just let my subscription to Roast Magazine lapse, I just wasn't feeling I was getting much in the way of roasting knowledge there, though there are some interesting articles. I won't be purchasing the book. I think for roasting the Mill City Roasters videos and some other resources are ideal.

Roast Magazine is tailored to the commercial side with some good info on running a roasting business.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to yakster »

If you know of good You Tube playlists please share. Yes that's a pricey book. Wonder how they came to that decision.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

johnny4lsu

#7: Post by johnny4lsu »

The whole magazine is littered with ads. Barely any substance. You're better off digging through this forum.

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC replying to johnny4lsu »

That's why I let my subscription expire. It was way too much advertising. And they didn't turn down anyone. They'd fill the magazine up with twenty different plastic cup vendors and 30 different syrup manufacturers if they could.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

marista

#9: Post by marista »

i hope someone from roast magazine's reading this thread.. i too let my subscription lapse due to the number of ads in the magazine. nonetheless, this book does look like a great resource and without the ads!

roastmag

#10: Post by roastmag »

Thanks everyone for the comments. I take everything to heart and appreciate the feedback - good or bad.

We took great care and consideration when we priced the Book of Roast. At 8.5 X 11 and 495 pages it is very expensive to print and falls easily into a technical/reference book category. I know it can stretch a budget but I like to think that it's worth every penny. The expansive of knowledge in the book in unmatched by anything in print and we hope that the book will become a standard tool of roasting.

I can't apologize for the ads in the magazine. We are a for profit company and ads help pay our employees and printing bills. And we painstakingly choose each and every article of Roast in hopes of delivering top notch educational editorial each issue.

Thank you to all of you out there that read Roast and bought the Book of Roast! We will continue to help educate the industry and we thank you for your support. With regards - Connie Blumhardt, Publisher