My new favorite macchiato cup!

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Balthazar_B

#1: Post by Balthazar_B »

Just received a couple of these the other day, and they've displaced other cups I've been using and have become my new favorite cup for macchiatos. The perfect size, and its wide mouth allows for a nice spreading of the foam, as well as better aromatics (yes, they're good for straight doubles as well). Please forgive the smartphone photo and the rather poor microfoam.

The cup is the Ancap Ancona. Nice weight and beautiful porcelain.

http://www.ancap.it/en/roasters/cups/it ... ncona.html

I don't have the cappuccino cup in this pattern but I may have to try it out, though it's a little on the tight side in volume (it seems more suited to cortados). FWIW, my erstwhile favorite capp cup is the IPA Aosta, which nicely accommodates 5.6 fluid oz.
- John

LMWDP # 577

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

It looks very nice; I like it. Due to the narrow bottom, it seems like it might be lacking in stability.

My wife says, "It looks great if you want a 'Mocha Martini'!"

We do like it though - very stylish!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

Balthazar_B wrote:...Please forgive the smartphone photo and the rather poor microfoam..
It is refreshing to see someone else on these boards pours as I do.
-----
LMWDP #339

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Great cup for a macchiato; the milk cap looks great on it. For espresso, those who like their crema thin and spread out will like this one; but those who like it thick will probably prefer the tubular Milanese cups.
Jim Schulman

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#5: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:It looks very nice; I like it. Due to the narrow bottom, it seems like it might be lacking in stability.
That thought crossed my mind when I looked at the cup's profile, but it hasn't been a problem at all. I guess the designers at Ancap know what they're doing.
My wife says, "It looks great if you want a 'Mocha Martini'!"
Up, with two olives?
- John

LMWDP # 577

#6: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Great cup for a macchiato; the milk cap looks great on it. For espresso, those who like their crema thin and spread out will like this one; but those who like it thick will probably prefer the tubular Milanese cups.
Yeah, the Milanos are nice. There are just so many great espresso cups available these days. I got a set of the IPAs that Chris Coffee sells, the ones designed by Matteo Thun (but without the Illy advertising). They're really, really nice.

My eyes don't linger on the crema much: I pretty quickly mix it in with a spoon and quaff the brew. I guess that makes me a barbarian. Or at least irreligious.
- John

LMWDP # 577

#7: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:It is refreshing to see someone else on these boards pours as I do.
Now if only I could roast as you do.
- John

LMWDP # 577