Elektra Microcasa a Leva and me - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IMAWriter (original poster)

#11: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

drgary wrote:I think it's declining pressure profile combined with a relatively soft spring to start with. That pressure profile would not underextract at the start or overextract at the end. Maybe there's temperature decline during the pull, which would also tend to not overextract. Just guessing. The Conti Prestina is the extreme example of this, being even more flavor layered.
Yes, I believe I saw something from Doug Garrett about the Conti's declining pressure. Yes, I see my temperature decline slightly as the pull proceeds.
Time for me to "un-think" all this, and enjoy the ride. I['ve been lucky to have some fine lever machines, all with their own personality. The MCAL is no different.

Appreciate all the feedback.

#12: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Interestingly, while watching MCAL videos (most not so good..haha) before purchasing mine, I noticed that the gurgling sound of the group filing was easily heard. Perhaps it was due to the vid camera's audio level up some, but clearly audible gurgling.
My machine, on the other hand seems to have nearly no sound of gurgling. I have fine hearing for my age, and have no issues in that frequency range.
Could the teflon gasket be silencing some of that sound? For what it's worth, I'm using around 15.5-16 grams of coffee, and the shots are consistently 30 grams...no Fellini, with a 8-9 count before allowing the lever to rise.

doubleOsoul

#13: Post by doubleOsoul »

drgary wrote:I generally didn't do a Fellini with an MCAL. Just one delicious pull.

Well said and same here. One delicious pull. :)

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Rob,

I don't think a heat break gasket would stop you from hearing water release through the shower screen, since the sound would come from the group.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

bas

#15: Post by bas »

I have an 98 and 2006 Mcal. The 98 one makes far less "gurgling sounds". Both with the Ponte Vechio seal and the 98 with the current spring. No idea why.

Regarding dose: You could try the smaller double basket. It holds about 13-14 grams. Your lager one takes 16+ gram. In the Netherlands the smaller double basket is what you get when buying a new one. But you could also use a premil pavoni double. I use the Strietman baskets as the are better made.

For me the 13-14 gram dose yields the best results tastewise. Just try.

#16: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to bas »

Game to try anything. I have a basket that holds 14 grams tops, but the coffee from the OEM large MCAL double seems to be doing what I want.
What I hear atwater enters the group is a "whoosh."

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

IMAWriter wrote:What I hear atwater enters the group is a "whoosh."
Does this affect the taste? :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

#18: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to drgary »

Well, without a reference to a "gurgling shot" I have to say "who's to know?" :lol:

I do know that I've never had pucks as solid as these, other than my original Anita way back. I mean, I have to bang the PF down 4-5 times to extricate them. On the other hand, 90% of the time my Caravel plucks were soggy, even after 45 seconds post shot.

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

Do soggy pucks affect the taste? :D
Gary
LMWDP#308

#20: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to drgary »

Hey doc, give me a break!! :lol: