User Experience: Helor 101 Hand Grinder - Page 21

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
max

#201: Post by max »

wachuko wrote:Sorry... just wanted to make sure I shared the photos... Some folks wanted to make sure, size wise, it was the same one. I took the grinder apart to compare and share more photos. These hybrid are as smooth as the full ceramic units.

If anything happens with mine I will have these as spare as well as an additional ceramic set.

<image>
That's great news. For you from NA, it might even be worthwhile to buy in larger quantities:
https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product- ... 78753.html

EDIT: Seems like they're available in smaller quantities: https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/smr6800c-2os-7-ld.html

wachuko

#202: Post by wachuko replying to max »

Those prices are so inexpensive... I paid US$18.95 each for the hybrids... :evil:
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Advertisement
max

#203: Post by max replying to wachuko »

Wish I had looked for them earlier :(

I'm thinking of sending an inquiry to the seller and buy a bunch. Hopefully somebody wants the ones I don't!

maigre

#204: Post by maigre »

wachuko and/or anyone else who has purchased third party bearings, any thoughts after further use on how they're working?

wachuko

#205: Post by wachuko replying to maigre »

I am still waiting for the ceramic bearings ordered from eBay...

The hybrid ones ordered locally, I only tested once and then used for the photos. They worked great and I have them stored for future use. Currently using the bearings that came with the grinder. Those continue to work great.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

wachuko

#206: Post by wachuko »

Received the full ceramic bearings. Look identical to the ones included with the Helor...

Got a question on how to tighten it... I use the supplied wrench and handle

And careful to not over tighten it...

And I am still using my stock bearings... these two set of bearings are just to keep as spare.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

max

#207: Post by max »

TL;DR: Before you order new bearings, check that yours are actually clean first.

I just received my hybrid ones. $4 each + $4 shipping.

My grinder was functional, but not smooth, so based on posts earlier in this thread, I assumed the bearing was broken but intact enough to turn for now.
I didn't want to open it up and risk not have a working grinder until new bearings arrived, so I just ordered the new ones and waited.

Yesterday I meant to replace the grinder, but after taking out the bearings, it turns out they are intact and that the unevenness came from some coffee particles on the bearings.

They probably entered when the securing cap unscrewed the first time. I screwed it back in, but, probably because of these particles, it loosened again. As suggested previously in the thread, I screwed harder. This mashed the coffee together to secure the cap, but as a result nothing was smooth.

Advertisement
MikkelCoff

#208: Post by MikkelCoff »

I cleaned my grinder today and noticed this damage
When turning the handle it never felt "smooth" since getting the grinder. could this be the reason ?

ira
Team HB

#209: Post by ira »

MikkelCoff wrote:I cleaned my grinder today and noticed this damage
When turning the handle it never felt "smooth" since getting the grinder. could this be the reason ?
If the shaft rubs there, it's a problem, if not, it's just cosmetic. Look at the shaft ans see if there is a rub mark there.

Ira

MikkelCoff

#210: Post by MikkelCoff »

How difficult is it to change burrs? And is it easy to allign it again?
Have not been able to find a guide :)