Modified Mazzer Super Jolly - Finally finished (maybe)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
boscus

#1: Post by boscus »

Long time listener, 1st time caller. Wanted to give a shout out to everyone on here as I've been lurking in the dark absorbing all the tricks and tips on refurbishing/modifying a Mazzer Super Jolly.

Last year I purchased a used SJ off craigslist for $250 that was in good shape (good bearings, newish burrs). It just needed a cleanup and a few mods for in-home use.

Mods:
Removed giant hopper. Replaced with flexible silicon camera lens hood
Removed stickers, fork, knob etc and repainted
Added bottomless portafilter shelf instead of fork (custom made out of Carob wood)
Added exit shoot nozzle out of thin plastic
Replaced Doser lid with custom made Carob wood lid
Modified doser handle with custom Carob wood piece
Replaced timer knob with custom Carob wood knob
Modified doser with metal funnel
Repainted with gloss white paint and sanded/buffed with 1000/1500 wet/dry to get a good sheen.

For those interested in the La Pavoni
Custom Carob wood handles and weighted Black walnut base.

Thanks again for everyones tips on getting this grinder to this state and if anyone has questions on how/what I did I would be more than happy to comment and add to the forum.

Matt

dilin

#2: Post by dilin »

That's dawn awesome! Do you offer these mods for sale? I have a Super Jolly too.

ebola5114

#3: Post by ebola5114 »

Congratulations! Well done, it's look fantastic, real, confortable and shiny !

dino

#4: Post by dino »

nice work!

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

+1 OUTSTANDING - Congrats!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

salvia

#6: Post by salvia »

Matt, very nice work. I'd be interesting in seeing your process photos, if you have them.

boscus (original poster)

#7: Post by boscus (original poster) »

Unfortunately I didn't do a great job documenting my progress with the grinder... The La Pavoni was new so all I did there was make handles with a table saw and belt sander. The base has a 1/4" steel plate that is recessed in and epoxied so it weighs about 15lbs. I used the existing hole to secure it.

I do have one image that was a before (but this was after I had dismantled it and cleaned it)

As for selling other sets - I could always be persuaded. The original doser flipper handle and the timer knob had to be modified to get them to fit right and work properly. If you have specific ideas just let me know. The doser lid, portafilter shelf and grind setting handle are easy plug and play items.

cycomachead

#8: Post by cycomachead »

Wow, this looks great.

I love the wooden knob, since those don't seem too common and the lens hood is a good idea!

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by RockyIII »

Matt,

You did a great job. The paint job and wooden parts look really nice.

Rocky

YseanY

#10: Post by YseanY »

mind sharing the details of the lens hood?