Tetsu Kasuya's 4-6 method - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

I tried this method this afternoon with the Colombia Antioquia Caicedo Hector Vargas I roasted up on Sunday (2 days rest) in my Kalita 155 filter holder. I decided to do 50 ml and 70 ml pours for the 40% and then four 45 ml pours for the remaining 60%.

The first 50 ml pour into the 20 grams of sieved ground coffee was all bloom, hard to really see it drain since it was still outgassing. I'd be interested to hear feedback on handling this.

The remaining pours went well but as this is my first roast of this coffee I have an astringent note that I'm picking up in the coffee that I also noticed to a lesser degree when I brewed up 600 ml in my BraZen this morning. it will be interesting to try this with other coffees. Consider this a first run to work out the kinks.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC »

I shared the video for context only. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of this brewing method alone making that significant of a difference. Tetsu-san was starting with competition quality superstar coffee, which I think does most of the talking IMO. I wont discount it outright, but I think in the grand scheme of things, in a brewing competition, novelty sells.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

[creative nickname]

#13: Post by [creative nickname] »

TomC wrote:I shared the video for context only. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of this brewing method alone making that significant of a difference. Tetsu-san was starting with competition quality superstar coffee, which I think does most of the talking IMO. I wont discount it outright, but I think in the grand scheme of things, in a brewing competition, novelty sells.
For me the biggest value was that it got me out of my ordinary brewing box, showing how good a brew could taste using lower temperatures. I am too lazy to do side-by-side v60s in quick enough time to compare them at similar temperatures, so my results are very anecdotal and may be no more than confirmation bias. Still, I do seem to perceive a variance in body based on the number of pours in the "6" portion, as he advises, and even if that is simply the result of a slowed overall brewing time it is a nice trick to have in the toolkit.

I do agree, however, that the coffee surely makes a bigger difference than subtleties of pouring technique in the grand scheme of things. It is quite possible that this is just a brewing fad, and that my positive response is in part just a result of this making my coffee taste a bit different than what I'm used to, and thus having a refreshing effect on my palate. That, and the aforesaid confirmation bias. Still, I'm getting tasty cups and it isn't too hard to execute if you brew over a scale, so I'll probably stick with it for a while longer.
SpecC wrote:About how course do you grind?
I use the middle notch on my Bunnzilla (labelled "Drip"), which is what I use for my standard cupping grind. It's the same notch I would use to get a reasonable (4-5min) draw-down time for a 1L batch brew in the Bonavita, if that helps.
LMWDP #435

one lump or two?

#14: Post by one lump or two? »

One thing I notice playing around with this brew method is the aroma of the brewed coffee always seems better than my other methods. Taste has been variably better or worse.

I tend to mess around with variables too much, so I found this method encouraged this more, which in my case was not necessarily helpful.
wabi sabi - nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect