Profitec Pro 800 Lever w/PID - Page 14

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dominico
Team HB

#131: Post by dominico »

coffee-nerd wrote:Quick status update: I managed to replicate my shots from the Pavoni on the Profitec without having to push the lever manually.

I took the LM1 basket and inserted 8g then I tampered and put an additional 4g on top and tampered again.

Shot takes around 40 seconds + 7 seconds preinfusion. 18g of Espresso in the cup.
Shot came out very sirupy. Not bitter at all. Almost like chocolate . Just the way I like it. :D

Does anybody have an idea why this seems to work much better for me than the VST baskets (14g) or the stock double basket?
The VST baskets have a much greater hole surface area than your single basket does, and coffee that extracts well runs the risk of over extracting. Switching to a slower flowing basket like your single you are probably extracting less overall coffee; so if you were over extracting with that coffee before you are probably extracting optimally now. VST baskets are great for light and medium roasted coffees, but not so great for dark roasts because they can extract too much. For more traditional roasts it is good to use more traditional baskets.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

coffee-nerd

#132: Post by coffee-nerd »

Thanks Dominico!

Then I definitely prefer the traditional baskets:-)

What other baskets would you recommend for 14g, 18g and 21g?

Ozark_61

#133: Post by Ozark_61 »

I was attempting the 'half cocked' technique before fully dropping the lever. While half cocked, I could hear the headspace pressurizing (?) but when lifting the handle to pull the shot, I'd get a lot of water bleeding out the gasket, and dribbling down into the cup. I'm dosing 18g into the double basket, but can sometimes feel the puck rubbing against the bottom of the screen. Lowering the dose down helped, but I prefer 18g shots. It actually seemed to be a little better if I dosed up a bit but eliminated the half cocked step, but wanted to check to see if anyone has any similar issues.
LMWDP #570

Balthazar_B (original poster)

#134: Post by Balthazar_B (original poster) replying to Ozark_61 »

Sounds like you need to use a larger basket or a screen that enables more headroom, or both. Perhaps you should consider something like this if you're using a bottomless portafilter? It would also let you do a lighter tamp, which is often beneficial on lever machine shots.
- John

LMWDP # 577

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#135: Post by FotonDrv »

That Triple Basket holds more than the VST 22g which I found amazing, but I do like the Triple for certain roasts and drinks.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

mathof

#136: Post by mathof »

Balthazar_B wrote:It would also let you do a lighter tamp, which is often beneficial on lever machine shots.
Is a lighter tamp advantageous because lever machines that pre-infuse at boiler pressure have difficulty penetrating hard-tamped pucks? Or is there some other reason?

Matt

aecletec

#137: Post by aecletec »

Perhaps the gentle preinfusion allows extraction of finer grinds, preventing clogging/choking. Some swear by higher extractions from grinding finer.

Ozark_61

#138: Post by Ozark_61 »

I switched back to the stock basket that came with the machine and my regular 18g dose, wdt, circular sweep and tamp - back to no problems. I can feel the puck brushing against the screen, but I cinch it down a bit and then when after I see a few drops at full lever, I release it a bit gently when it starts to pressurize on the return and no problems at all. After a bit of trial and error now I'm very happy with the results. Next is to plumb in the machine... and drill the granite... :shock:
LMWDP #570

Ppettson

#139: Post by Ppettson »

Hello!

I own a Profitec Pro 800 , and I'm wondering what temperature (celsius) the PID stands on your machines or what temperature you refere?

sprint jinx

#140: Post by sprint jinx »

Two answers to above postings.

I too am witnessing dribble from around the PF when releasing the lever to pressurize a shot after preinfusion. One technique that we have found useful is to slowly apply the force of the spring to the shot, so that the ramp up to full pressure is slower/longer. This tends to lessen the dribble, often eliminating it. We were using 18 grams, then 17, and now we are down to 15, which makes the taste less aggressive. We are firmly securing the PF in the group as well.

Our PID has been a range of settings - 247 to 250F, which is 119-121c. The needle on the gauge is at the lower end of the green indication area.