Mobile Setup: Two La Marzocco GS3's or two-group Linea? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gor

#11: Post by gor »

Awesome! Locations like that don't come up that often.

A bit OT but I had the chance to play with a Bosco a few weeks ago. The first pic is the machine in place and the cafe being fitted out.

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Moxiechef »

One more reason to have two GS/3s is when your 2gr. machine goes down, you probably don't have to(get to) work that day!! But if you had two machines, not likely both are down at the same time.

Advertisement
CelliniEVO (original poster)

#13: Post by CelliniEVO (original poster) »

HB wrote:For the last few years, I've catered a local cars and coffee event using equipment under review. Among the reviewed equipment was the La Marzocco GS/3. I don't serve bucket-sized lattes, so it's possible you might notice the difference between a Linea and GS/3 steaming speed, but I doubt it. At home I have a 2-group Strada and it steams enough for a latte in 15 seconds; IIRC, the GS/3 is about the same.

As long as the machine steams faster than the pour time, there's very little workflow savings to be had since any reduction in drink-to-drink time will require you to be doing something else. Based on my experience, whether you choose to use two GS/3's or a single two-group is more about preference/cost/logistics than production time.

Thanks, great to hear from someone with experience on the GS3 and a Strada! We do a lot of 16oz Chai/matcha tea lattes/hot cocoas and unfortunately a ton of 16oz 'large bucket' lattes (didn't offer them year 1, but caved to demand). I definitely see my GS3 with the pro-wand slow down in steam power during a big rush and especially on cold days. If I go with the GS3 I was thinking I could jump between steamwands to give the machines a chance to recharge....but like the idea of having access to all the Linea's steam from just one of the wands. If I can steam some of these bigger drinks significantly quicker it could be worth the added difficulty of transport. Pretty big cash investment so I wish I could do a market with each setup and see which works better overall....can't stop going back and forth on pros/cons.

cebseb

#14: Post by cebseb »

From the looks your recent [WTB] post, it seems that you've made a decision. From my experience, I think you made the correct one. :D

lagoon

#15: Post by lagoon »

In the scenario of running 2 GS3's side by side, wouldn't you need to connect them to different circuits to avoid overloading a breaker?

This may require a long extension cord if all of the powerpoints in reach are on the same breaker.

Larry Marzocco

#16: Post by Larry Marzocco replying to lagoon »

That is correct.

It is also important to note that a 220 - 240v machine would always recover the heat much faster too.

I would have chosen the Linea or better yet a 2 group strada to purchase.

#17: Post by CelliniEVO (original poster) »

For anyone interested, I decided to go with a 2-group Linea PB-AV. Went back and forth for literally months, but think I made the right decision! Not looking forward to transporting it, but excited to see how much speed I can gain with volumetrics/220power/7 liter steam-boiler.

Advertisement
gor

#18: Post by gor »

Good choice!

Do you know the max amps you can plug into at the location where you are going to be using the machine?

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get LM to put a lower rated steam boiler element before you take delivery of it. That would save you the task of having to do it.

gor

#19: Post by gor »

s

These are just some pics of how I have my cart setup. It is very easy to connect/disconnect various bits.
Running two pumps, the bigger Davey pump sucks out of jerry container and feeds hot water unit, sinks and machine.
The other rotary pump is what the LM Linea uses

#20: Post by CelliniEVO (original poster) »

Thanks for posting those Gor! Where can I buy those fittings? I'm currently running a dual-wand flo-jet pump from 5 gallon bottles that pushes water to my GS3....I'm using 1/4" plastic tubing and push-to-connect fittings.

Do you think I should continue using the flo-jet with the Linea or let the pump just pull water from the bottles? Is there any advantage of one over the other?