New to this - advice on CC1 and other espresso machines

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
reemas

#1: Post by reemas »

All,

Been reading a bit around here and other sites but finally registered and decided to ask some questinos. We are looking for a grinder and espresso machine setup. Wife used to be a barista many years back and we really enjoy the process of making our food and drinks by hand. We drink enough coffee / espresso to want to pull the trigger on this but have a budget of about $1,000 all inclusive (grinder + espresso machine).

I was thinking about the Rancilio Silvia w/PID from SCG at first but a lot of reviews have pointed towards the CC1 as a more modern equivalent. For $1K we can get the CC1 and Vario grinder delivered to us. (On the flip side, some folks say the CC1 is a cheap toy so I'm not sure what to make of it.)

I'm curious about the longevity and durability of the CC1 now that it has been a few years since this machine has been out. Would love some feedback here.

Some guides have also suggested going for a used HX machine which seems a bit over our budget, but it makes it seem like the CC1 is a short term play. Would love some general feedback on what to expect and buying advice.

Charlene

#2: Post by Charlene »

For what it's worth, a comparison between CC1 & Silvia...

thecoffeefield

#3: Post by thecoffeefield »

In my opinion, as a Silvia owner, the CC1 has the advantage of cost. The CC1 has a built in PID (sort of) that can control brew temperature and that makes it much cheaper than the Silvia w. PID at close to $900! Having said that, if you make milk drinks (lattes cappuccinos, etc.) you will want to have the Silvia. The steaming capability on the Silvia is much better than the CC1 thermoblock system, which is weak at best. Also, the Silvia will be much easier to sell down the road to upgrade and it holds its value, not sure the same can be said about the CC1.

EDChris

#4: Post by EDChris »

Quick Mill has a new thermoblock machine very similar to the CC1 that is pretty intriguing. Its called the EVO 70 3240, in the states Chris Coffee has them:
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Quick-Mill- ... _03240.htm

The buildout looks much nicer than the CC1, and the double water systems are almost totally separate which is novel at this size/price point. There's a version with an integrated grinder a la the Oracle (but made of steel in Italy), the 3245, but I believe it's only available in Canada right now.