Bezzera Strega orange light goes off suddenly

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
photobillyli

#1: Post by photobillyli »

I know some of you are having / had the same issue that the orange light (the one below the green light) suddenly goes off even though the water tank is still containing enough but not too much of water and if it turns off the pump will not be initiated and no water could be drawn to the boiler as well as the brew group.

I cannot predict when this will happen. Last time it happened frequently andI removed all of the cups placed on top of the machine and the orange light stopped from turning off.

But after a few months, today it goes off again.... This time it goes off after I pulled the lever down. The vibration pump works for 1 to 2 seconds after the lever down then the orange light is off and the pump stopped....no water comes out of my coffee. It is soooooooo frustrating.

I bought the machine to Hong Kong so sending the machine back to Bezzera will be the least thing I want to do. But I am not a machine guy, can someone suggest me simple solutions?

Thank you thank you thank you soooooo much.
Billy

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

The contacts between the two screws in the tank and the wipers along the side are accident prone -- clean them and tighten the wipers.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
photobillyli (original poster)

#3: Post by photobillyli (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Thank you for your replay.
So do I need to open the case to do what you said?

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

photobillyli wrote:So do I need to open the case to do what you said?
No.

Pull out the tank, and you'll see the two screws on the side. If you look down into the space where the tank was, you'll see two flat contacts that touch the screws -- there is a low voltage current throught the water that shuts down the machine when it is interrupted -- clean the contacts and maybe bend the blades so they touch the screws with higher pressure, and the system will be more reliable.

If it happens and you are in a hurry, just jiggle the tank to restore the contact. If it drives you nuts, short out the two blades, and the orange light will never go off -- even when the tank is empty.
Jim Schulman

photobillyli (original poster)

#5: Post by photobillyli (original poster) »

Thank you so much!!!
I just tried and it works perfectly!