Either I'm stupid or my brand new Baratza Encore arrived DOA

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
ireallylikecoffee

#1: Post by ireallylikecoffee »

just bought the Encore. try to screw in the hopper but it won't lock into place and i cannot figure out why for the life of me.

can anyone ID anything wrong in the photos below:

this is super frustrating, not sure what's up

kyle anderson
Sponsor

#2: Post by kyle anderson »

Sorry for the frustration in getting the grinder together. My best guess is that the ring burr is not fully seated. Try this: remove the ring burr (the white plastic ring with red mark at 4 o'clock). Then try placing the hopper on the grinder and see if it easily turns. If it does turn easily, remove the hopper and then place the ring burr back in the grinder, and press down very hard, to make sure it is fully seated (red mark must line up with the rectangular hole in the black adjusting ring). Put the hopper in and try again to turn it.
If this doesn't work then write to me at kyle@baratza.com.
Regards,
Kyle

ireallylikecoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by ireallylikecoffee (original poster) »

Thanks Kyle! I just shot you an email.

ireallylikecoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by ireallylikecoffee (original poster) »

all is well. thanks kyle!

wachuko

#5: Post by wachuko replying to ireallylikecoffee »

So what was the cause of the problem?
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Coffee Addict

#6: Post by Coffee Addict replying to wachuko »

There was a wingnut stuck in his grind chamber.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by RockyIII »

I've owned a couple of Baratza grinders, a Vario-W and a Forte AP. Several times when I started to grind, nothing happened. Every single time it was because the bean hopper was not locked all the way in and engaging the microswitch, but it never failed to cause a momentary panic until my brain clicked into gear.

Rocky

wachuko

#8: Post by wachuko »

Looks like the update got removed. I remember seeing a reply that the issue was due to the wing nut in the photo... :?:

I am guessing that was for packaging purposes as there is no reference to that wing nut in the manual. Was that really it?

Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

curmudgeon

#9: Post by curmudgeon »

wachuko wrote:Looks like the update got removed. I remember seeing a reply that the issue was due to the wing nut in the photo... :?:

I am guessing that was for packaging purposes as there is no reference to that wing nut in the manual. Was that really it?
I saw the post about the wing nut as well. Interesting that it's now gone.

The picture you posted is (from what I understand) an older version of the Encore. Apparently the older style was prone to getting a bean or two stuck on top of the burr, so they added the wing nut as a way of solving that problem - it serves no other function. At least - that's how I understand the story. I'm not sure how much truth there is in it.

If there were indeed a wing nut stuck in the grind chamber, it would have had to come from another grinder on the assembly line, because the wing nut is alive and well in the OP's pictures.

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

wachuko wrote:Looks like the update got removed. I remember seeing a reply that the issue was due to the wing nut in the photo...
I thought it was a joke that would confuse other contributors and removed it as off-topic. Sorry if it was meant to be a serious suggestion; I have restored it. :oops:
Dan Kehn