Handground Grinder! - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
max

#11: Post by max »

I agree that the Helor 101 is another excellent choice. If you have access to an address in China, you can get it at a very good price.

I consider the feldgrind much more enjoyable to work with (especially grind settings), but based on my short time with the Helor, the latter seems to grind a bit more consistently.

Cardboardgeorge (original poster)

#12: Post by Cardboardgeorge (original poster) »

Honestly taken back by everyones help so thank you all again for reponses what a nice forum! Looked into the felgrind and love it but the delivery process looks like one to be avoided! and the expensive peppermill thing about the lido was so funny! Good thing is I dont have to rush into buying a grinder! I would just go baratza and buy an encore but I just like the process with a manual grinder!

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#13: Post by mivanitsky »

+1 for the Helor 101. Way better than it should be, for the price.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

gimpy wrote:If you haven't done so, yet, Google Feldgrind. There is a huge thread about it in the UK coffee forums. It will give you some insight on the Feldgrind and its possible purchasing process.
The Feldgrind, Lido3, and Helor 101 are now all available from Prima-Coffee.com with free shipping - so Americans can now ignore that other purchasing process.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

EDChris

#15: Post by EDChris »

Don't know how it compares to the Feldgrind, Lido, and Helor but I was actually pretty impressed by the ROK Manual Grinders we got. Thing is, I have no idea what's going on with their fulfillment. You can't buy them from the ROK website any more so I'm not sure if they're sold out, discontinued, bankrupt, what have you.

Gig103

#16: Post by Gig103 »

I have one, and it's adequate. I'm thrilled with the build - I like the looks, the handle and its direction of travel, and glass catch bin. The burrs seem no better than a Hario, and the steps are huge. The grind is coarse and inconsistent by 5 out of 10. But I'm happy with it on 2 for Aeropress.

I also had to return my first one because it was misaligned which was making it really inconsistent and it also needed shims. But the second one is fine, so that's a quality control issue.

Also I want to comment on the company only offering a 30 day return policy which is substandard these days.

In summary, I would give it 2.5 out of 5 and think it would be a much better buy at $50.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by jwCrema »

Since you're grinding for espresso, the right Lido would be a Lido E. It is a very impressive grinder, and I like it better than the Pharos as it is extremely easy to get in the ballpark on the initial grind, easy to tweak the grind setting and extract grounds from. I never owned a Lido 3, but I can say the idea of turning an E into a pepper grinder, given the quality of what it produces for espresso would be inexplicable.

Cardboardgeorge (original poster)

#18: Post by Cardboardgeorge (original poster) »

Hi guys managed to find a nice vintage KYM on ebay for £20!! and it works perfectly making a lovely even espresso! So again thanks for all your help