Bezzera BZ10 or Strega - please help me choose

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
chriscaffeine

#1: Post by chriscaffeine »

Hi folks, new here. I have narrowed down my search to either BZ10 or Strega. Is the price and size difference worth it for the latter? My taste preference is full body with a vast array of clear notes. I most drink double shots macchiato and occasionally latte.

I am open to other machines but have a slight affection to those from Italy.

DeGaulle

#2: Post by DeGaulle »

They are two different animals, really. If all you're looking for is a no-fuss machine to make milk-based drinks using medium to medium dark roasts, you will do great with a BZ10. With the Strega you have control over the pre-infusion, so it pushes the envelope of flavor extraction in particular when you use lighter roasts. If you haven't already, check out this video:
Bert

chriscaffeine (original poster)

#3: Post by chriscaffeine (original poster) »

Thanks DeGaulle. I prefer medium to dark roasts. The lightest I could take is Sumatra Madheling. Not a big fan of Ethiopian beans as they are too sour for my liking. By getting Strega, will I be able to achieve a better spectrum of flavor? Or will a BZ10 be more or less sufficient, perhaps 10-15% less so if I am not so picky. Space savings is anohter advantage to think of as well.

DeGaulle

#4: Post by DeGaulle »

It really depends on how picky your taste buds are or how explorative you are. I can see myself upgrading from my BZ10 at some point, possibly to a Strega or an E61 machine, but not just yet.
Objectively, what it lacks is extended pre-infusion. Apparently this limits the machine in its ability to make lighter roasts that are harder to extract taste what I would call balanced. On occasion I had a Mandhleling from a local roaster that had been roasted really light for espresso. It may have been a grinder limitation, but I could not get it to taste to my liking (too dominantly acidic), even at the grind setting where the burrs were about to meet.

IMO if you limit yourself to medium/dark roasts, with a good grinder the BZ10 is definitely able to produce beautiful balanced, creamy shots with great flavor clarity all the same. When I bought it 4 years ago, the small footprint was what attracted me as well, but I haven't been disappointed by the drinks it makes and still am not.
Bert

Ron_L

#5: Post by Ron_L »

This maybe too late, but some of the Chicago area members are getting together on March 18 and I am hoping to bring my new Londinium R and there will be a Strega there. No Bezzera, however. We will be comparing the Londinium and the Strega and a La Cremina. I can report back.
...ron

LMWDP #356

#6: Post by chriscaffeine (original poster) »

DeGaulle, I have similar problems with Madheling in the past and generated a few acidic shots. After some tweaks with my Bezzera BB05 grinder, I managed to pull a very good, earthy and slightly spicy shot. I can imagine BZ10 sitting comfortably under my kitchen cabinets but I can also foresee that I might get bored with it quite soon within a year or two. Have you considered BZ13 in the past? Price-wise they are quite similar to Strega.

Ron, congratulations on your Londinium R! This is beyond my price-range but I would be very eager to know your comparisons from the meeting.

Another machine that fall under my radar is Elektra Micro Casa. If anyone can compare this with Strega, please let me know.

Ron_L

#7: Post by Ron_L »

chriscaffeine wrote:Ron, congratulations on your Londinium R! This is beyond my price-range but I would be very eager to know your comparisons from the meeting.
I understand. I wasn't trying to talk you into spending more :D I was able to sell my Izzo Alex so I could upgrade.

There are some folks selling the Londinium L1 to get the new L-R, so there may be some deals available.
...ron

LMWDP #356

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

I'm a fan of both machines now. Bezzera deivers very good quality for their price point and the grouphead heaters lets the machines heat up in 12 to 15 minutes, so evern someone impatient like me can swithc them off between uses.

The BZ10 likes lower doses, finer grinds, and fast shots; which is suitable for most coffees. It is a "sprezzatura" machine -- you can be cool and casual using it.

The Strega can take a wide range of grinds and doses, since one can control both the length and pressure of the preinfusion, and the flow of the shot. On the other hand, shot making is a less casual thing: you are paying attention to the pump's noise and time, which indicate the preinfusion pressure, and then you controlling the flow rate, which affects the extraction levels and brew ratios. Restricting the grind and dose, and then being casual with this machine is certainly possible, but then there is no benefit over a pump machine. I'm guessing this is somewhat true of all levers and all modulated pump machines as well.
Jim Schulman

DeGaulle

#9: Post by DeGaulle »

Have you considered BZ13 in the past?
Chris, IIRC that one was introduced about 6 months after I had bought my BZ10 machine. Else I might have considered it. Reportedly it heats up even faster. I am not sure why that would be, perhaps because the group head is shielded.
DeGaulle, I have similar problems with Madheling in the past and generated a few acidic shots. After some tweaks with my Bezzera BB05 grinder, I managed to pull a very good, earthy and slightly spicy shot.
I would be surprised if it were an inherent Mandheling thing and not roast level related. Just how did you tweak the grinder, I suppose grind finer and longer shots?
Bert

#10: Post by chriscaffeine (original poster) »

Ron_L wrote:I understand. I wasn't trying to talk you into spending more :D I was able to sell my Izzo Alex so I could upgrade.

There are some folks selling the Londinium L1 to get the new L-R, so there may be some deals available.
No worries Ron. Looking forward to your findings from the meeting. Strega vs Londinium R.
another_jim wrote:I'm a fan of both machines now. Bezzera deivers very good quality for their price point and the grouphead heaters lets the machines heat up in 12 to 15 minutes, so evern someone impatient like me can swithc them off between uses.

The BZ10 likes lower doses, finer grinds, and fast shots; which is suitable for most coffees. It is a "sprezzatura" machine -- you can be cool and casual using it.

The Strega can take a wide range of grinds and doses, since one can control both the length and pressure of the preinfusion, and the flow of the shot. On the other hand, shot making is a less casual thing: you are paying attention to the pump's noise and time, which indicate the preinfusion pressure, and then you controlling the flow rate, which affects the extraction levels and brew ratios. Restricting the grind and dose, and then being casual with this machine is certainly possible, but then there is no benefit over a pump machine. I'm guessing this is somewhat true of all levers and all modulated pump machines as well.
Thanks Jim. Your video review on the Strega is captivating. I am just wondering if I get a BZ10 or BZ13, will I be disappointed, knowing that I won't be able to play around with its preinfusion length and pressure. I read somewhere that shots from Strega is quite comparable to those from the Strada!
DeGaulle wrote:Chris, IIRC that one was introduced about 6 months after I had bought my BZ10 machine. Else I might have considered it. Reportedly it heats up even faster. I am not sure why that would be, perhaps because the group head is shielded.

I would be surprised if it were an inherent Mandheling thing and not roast level related. Just how did you tweak the grinder, I suppose grind finer and longer shots?
I can't exactly remember what I did but I grind it slightly coarser. Still a bit acidic but palatable for my taste buds. That was years ago. Indonesia has a rich selection of coffees with unique flavor profiles.