Which grinder are you using with Olympia Cremina? - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Boldjava

#21: Post by Boldjava »

I use the Macap MC4, 58mm, doserless, stepped adjustment. No grind issues. Each new coffee requires a click or two and I adjust tamp as needed for excellent extractions.
-----
LMWDP #339

caffe1 (original poster)

#22: Post by caffe1 (original poster) »

I descaled my Cremina this weekend.

I didnt have a chance to use it yet- Its my weekend only machine!

I really think that was the issue- Hopefully the taste of the coffee it produces is better- Ill report back when i use it next weekend!

caffe1 (original poster)

#23: Post by caffe1 (original poster) »

I used the Cremina today and made some beautiful smooth espresso- taste was sooo much better after descaling.

I dialed in around 8.5 on the Monolith Flat- For the same beans I dial in around 7 when using the Rocket R58.

Next I will remove the grouphead and make sure the screen is clean.

dergitarrist

#24: Post by dergitarrist »

spressomon wrote:Also, I experimented with 16-16.5g doses in the Elektra basket and found better clarity and improved layering of flavors with smaller doses and finer grind (14-14.5g) in my Cremina.
It really depends on the grinder. I loved 1:2 shots (15g in 30g out) with my HG One but the EKK43 I'm not using really shines when you draw longer shots which is why I now try to dose around 13g for 35g in the cup (1:2,7ish). The Elektra basket is too large for this which is why I now mostly use the IMS basked Strietman sells: 49 mm basket comparison

Before:

After:

LMWDP #324

grog

#25: Post by grog »

Markus, what year is your Cremina? From that straight steam knob I'm guessing between 1967 - 1970? I really love the way the early v2 Creminas look - my favorite iteration by far.
LMWDP #514

dergitarrist

#26: Post by dergitarrist replying to grog »

1972, according to the serial number. I was wondering about the straight steam knob when I first got it because I'd only ever seen it with the angled one but maybe someone's replaced it somewhere along the way. I mean, the thing is 14 years older than I am and will probably survive me as well! :)
LMWDP #324

fredgab

#27: Post by fredgab »

My cremina is also from 72 & also got the straight steam wand so its probably the way it was back then. How is the steaming with yours?
cheers
fred
LMWDP #596

grog

#28: Post by grog »

Hmm, that's interesting. The very early ones definitely all had the straight stream knob, but I was never sure when they switched it to the angled knob. Seems '72 was the last year with straight knob, because I've seen '73s with the angled knob. Now we know!
LMWDP #514

jmarcus

#29: Post by jmarcus »

I thought that we weren't supposed to use White vinegar to descale the Cremina. I use food safe citric acid as described in the Orphan Espresso video on descaling.

I have the Monolith Conical. From the first shot, the change in the flavor, the clarity was was unbelievable. Depending on the beans, I move from 4.5 to 7.5 maybe 8. I tune by pulling shots, tasting the espresso, following one of the tuning guides to make small adjustments. I often get to a flavor that I like in three shots. Right now I'm grinding the finest, because my wife likes the espresso to be bolder and thus stands up to milk better.

The point being the Cremina takes time, its a labor of love. The more time you spend experimenting with it, the better it gets.

Good luck!

TomC
Team HB

#30: Post by TomC »

grog wrote:Markus, what year is your Cremina? From that straight steam knob I'm guessing between 1967 - 1970? I really love the way the early v2 Creminas look - my favorite iteration by far.
fredgab wrote:My cremina is also from 72 & also got the straight steam wand so its probably the way it was back then. How is the steaming with yours?
cheers
fred
I could be mistaken, but didn't Doug cover the history of the straight versus angled steam taps in his Cremina rebuild videos, saying the straight (90 degree) steam taps were only on the first year 1967 units and then changed subsequently? It's been quite a while since the topic was brought up that I don't even remember for certain.

I know that it's increasingly hard to make judgements based on what is on the machines we have, since they were often rebuilt with various parts as needed in previous owners hands. So, having a straight steam tap on a 1972 model doesn't mean it came that was in 1972.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/