La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II - Scale buildup on pump

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
cruiten

#1: Post by cruiten »

I purchased my S1 Vivaldi II back in July of 2009 and it has been working like a charm.

This past weekend I decided to perform some basic cleaning so I removed the front cover, and I was surprised by the scale buildup, and the location of the scale buildup, that I found on the left side of the pump.

The machine is working as expected, but I was wondering if this is something that I should be concerned about, and what could be the cause of this scale buildup.

I did not see any evidence of anything above the pump that could be leaking/dripping onto the left side of the pump.

P.S. Any recommendations for the best way to remove this scale buildup?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

Pull the pump off of the motor & see what it looks like inside the housing. Typically the seal in the pump fails & lets water get into the cavity between the pump & motor. Some leaks out the vent/drain hole & eventually the bearing in the pump end of the motor goes out.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
cruiten (original poster)

#3: Post by cruiten (original poster) »

John,

Thank you for your recommendation. I am afraid that pulling the pump off of the motor will have to wait until the weekend.

However, tonight I took a little mirror to look behind the pump and everything looks clean. I also checked the drain hole in the motor cover and it looks perfectly clean.

The scale appears to be concentrated on the side of the pump and has "wept" to the water-input connection.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

You've definitely got a leak there somewhere. If it's not one of those pump fittings or the pump itself there might be something leaking above the pump unit & it's dripping down?? A number of Vivaldi owners including myself had that pump start weeping & it created a mess but most of it was contained inside the pump to motor housing. Clean it up, run the machine with the cover off & see where it gets wet.
LMWDP 267

#5: Post by cruiten (original poster) »

I had some free time tonight so I pulled the pump off of the motor.

I am happy to report that everything looks clean as a whistle and moisture free.

It really looks like there was a problem with the replacement braided input line that I had to purchase back in June of 2015 when the nut to the filtration system broke off during cleaning. I remember that I had some trouble connecting the new BSPP waterline to the pump, and I had to use some teflon tape and a lot of torque on the nut to keep it from leaking.

I don't see how this could cause what I am seeing now, especially since this would go against the laws of gravity, but I can't see anything else that could have caused this.

I have checked the pump on a daily basis and it is definitely not leaking now, so I am going to keep my fingers crossed and visually check the pump on a weekly basis.

Thanks for all the help.

#6: Post by cruiten (original poster) »

One month later, and still no sign of any new leaks...