Italian Coffees. Lets talk about Kimbo, Danesi, Lavazza, Caffe motta, Illy - Page 13

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
wachuko

#121: Post by wachuko »

murphythecat87 wrote:Thanks everyone for your help!

yep, Ive adjusted my grind to suit 13g-14g dose. and the Segafredo is now pretty good.

Happily, all I drank every since Ive decided to up my dose to 18g was Motta and Segafredo, so my ranking is still valid but take everything ive said about Caffe Motta and Segafredo this last few months and forget about it :mrgreen:

Ill finish my Segafredo bag, then try the orocaffe premium https://www.orocaffe.ca/products/whole- ... blend.html which I just ordered, then try again again a bag of the Kimbo Superior and then a bag of caffe motta all dosed at 14g dosage!

1- Kimbo superior blend
2- lavazza super crema
5- Caffé Motta lounge bar
5- Caffe Motta espresso bar
5- Segafredo intermezzo
6- Vergnano
7- Danessi
8- Kimbo Napoletano
What a great thread! I was looking for what espresso beans to try first. I drink (and pardon the language as I still to learn the jargon) straight espresso.. I do not put any milk in it.

I had ordered Koffe Kult Dark Roast and Lavazza Super Crema before finding this thread.

I will go ahead and order some Kimbo Superior blend to test.

I can already tell that I have been drinking lousy espresso... bitter was more common than anything you guys are describing here...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

EDChris

#122: Post by EDChris »

Have any of you guys tried Maromas? One of our suppliers is suggesting we carry it (Orphea, Platinea, Arabea), but the majority of the coffee we sell we select and roast locally. The only imports we sell currently are Kimbo and Lavazza, which sees a lot of demand/has a high satisfaction rate.

wachuko

#123: Post by wachuko »

I received two of the 4 beans I ordered.

Koffe Kult Dark Roast is nothing out of the ordinary imho... the beans that I got locally from Zaza's (Cuban restaurant) are far superior, imho of course.

Now, Lavazza Super Crema. Wow! The caramel aroma that hit me the instant I open the bag! The creaminess, aroma, taste... very, very good. But after a few days, I feel like I need a break from it. Too much of a sweet aroma I am guessing. I will need to alternate between coffees to enjoy them more. Right now I need a break from Lavazza Super Crema... I hope that makes sense.

Still waiting for Kimbo Superior Blend, Klatch WBC... I decided not to order Klatch Belle Espresso as the description was similar to that of the Lavazza.

CAn't wait to try the Kimbo Superior Blend to compare to the Lavazza.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

TomC
Team HB

#124: Post by TomC »

wachuko wrote:
Now, Lavazza Super Crema. Wow! The caramel aroma that hit me the instant I open the bag! The creaminess, aroma, taste... very, very good....
CAn't wait to try the Kimbo Superior Blend to compare to the Lavazza.

I look forward to your comparisons. I love the Kimbo Superior as a change of course occasionally. Haven't tried that Lavazza Super Crema but now you've got me considering it.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

cmin

#125: Post by cmin »

So I've had the Kimbo Superior, Lavazza Super Crema, and Segafredo. I actually knew someone that opened up a Segafredos down here. But I must be missing something, all these coffees were mehh, like bland and sorta stale if that makes sense, I guess I was trying to see the draw vs fresh roasted. They also fell off a cliff fast once opened.

edit - forget, also had Danessi, italian breakfast joint near me that uses their beans. Bought a bag, but that was awhile ago, can't recall if it was ok or not lol.

wachuko

#126: Post by wachuko »

TomC wrote:I look forward to your comparisons. I love the Kimbo Superior as a change of course occasionally. Haven't tried that Lavazza Super Crema but now you've got me considering it.
Being a newbie I ordered the 2 lb. bags for each of these... I regret doing that because I want to alternate between them to avoid getting tired of them quickly.

The ones that I am not too thrilled about, giving those to my father-in-law :D

For anyone with a same machine as me... For the Lavazza Super Crema, I am using grinder setting at 3, 17 grams, and the shot is 35 grams of finished espresso. I am not leaving the beans in the grinder... I weight each dose, drop beans in grinder, grind to nice and warm portafilter, etc.

I am trying not to use sugar, but can't stop cold turkey :) , so I went from two teaspoons of sugar (this was in the Starbucks espresso I used to drink just a few days ago!! ) to 1/2 of a teaspoon (2 grams of sugar).

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Grant

#127: Post by Grant »

Currently enjoying Kimbo Aroma Gold.

Local Italian Centre (Edmonton) has a good Kimbo selection.
Grant

murphythecat87 (original poster)

#128: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) »

ive been drinking the oro cofee for a week now. https://www.orocaffe.ca/products/whole- ... blend.html

love it, very balanced and smooth. better then everything else ive tested but the Kimbo superior which is probably as good

ordered the 49th paralel Old school!

RioCruz

#129: Post by RioCruz »

murphythecat87 wrote:...ordered the 49th paralel Old school!
To which of the Italian blends would you compare the 49th Parallel Old School blend?
Do you...or anyone here...know of other domestic blends that are comparable to the Italian beans?
"Nobody loves your coffee more than you do."
~James Freeman, Blue Bottle

murphythecat87 (original poster)

#130: Post by murphythecat87 (original poster) replying to RioCruz »

hehe, the Old School 49th is to re adjust my palate after all this italian coffee testing :) I think ive been drinking only Italian blends for a full year now, so the 49 old school will be a nice change.

so after a couple of week with the Oro caffe, I can really say I like it. its more sophisticated then most other italian blend Ive tested. Not as chocolatey or caramel tasting as the Kimbo though but equally great. I may prefer Kimbo slightly though as its more chocolatey and give me that sort of cup I crave better.

1- Kimbo superior
2- Oro caffe Premium
2- Lavazza super crema
6- Caffé Motta lounge bar
6- Caffe Motta espresso bar
6- Segafredo intermezzo
7- Vergnano (need to try again)
9- Danessi
9- Kimbo Napoletano

NOTE: I cannot stress enough how important it is to try to dose the italian blends at about 14g in and 18g out. italian blends somehow do not like to be dosed at 17-18g even if kept at ristretto range. The Segafredo was almost undrinkable at 18g but quite creamy and tasty at 14g : night and day difference imo.