49 mm basket comparison - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by JohnB. »

Just got my IMS basket in today & it fits nicely in my Richard Penny Cremina bottomless with the spring installed. The IMS is quite a bit smaller then the MCaL basket I had been using. Still waiting for Gabor's Gauge kit to get here; 11 days & counting.
LMWDP 267

Katoci

#32: Post by Katoci »

How did it go, when you tried to insert the portafilter to the grouphead. Tried the Strietmann basket once, it was ok in the portafilter, but couldn't lock it on the grouphead. If there was a change and it fits now I would certainly be a buyer.

dergitarrist (original poster)

#33: Post by dergitarrist (original poster) »

grog wrote:Mine arrived this week too. They fit in all of my 49mm PFs but it takes some wiggling and finagling to get them into the Olympia groups (Cremina and Club). The basket fits more easily into my 1st gen Europiccola and brass sleeve Marcfi groups.

I haven't seen a noticeable difference in flow rate with the same coffee and dose relative to the Elektra double basket I usually use, but I've only used it for a few shots so far. My OE tamper fits it much better than in the OEM Oly baskets and slightly better than the old school OEM Pavoni baskets.
The wiggling and finagling goes away after a few weeks. I had the same "problem" with my Elektra baskets in my C67 at the beginning. You can also get some sandpaper and sand the edges down a bit.

A few weeks later, I like to use it a lot more than the Elektra basket. It has the right dimensions for the 15g:30g shots I usually pull. The Elektra basket is slightly too large for my taste and the coffees I usually like to drink.
LMWDP #324

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by JohnB. »

Katoci wrote:How did it go, when you tried to insert the portafilter to the grouphead. Tried the Strietmann basket once, it was ok in the portafilter, but couldn't lock it on the grouphead. If there was a change and it fits now I would certainly be a buyer.
Locks in just fine but remember I'm using an RP bottomless pf & not a stock Cremina pf.
LMWDP 267

grog

#35: Post by grog »

It fits fine in my Naked PF (from Gabor) and the stock OEM Oly PFs - for me the issue is that regardless of which PF I use, it's difficult to get it into the group. This isn't the case on my 1st gen Pavoni, and Marcfi. The Olympia groups are 73/74 so maybe the later ones are ever so slightly larger, just enough to make it easy to grt the basket in?
LMWDP #514

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by JohnB. »

Ok, I guess I just got lucky yesterday as today it was definitely fiddly getting the RP pf into the Cremina's group. The folded lip of the IMS basket is just slightly wider then the MCaL basket I was using. It's just enough to make it hard to get it up into my 1975 Cremina's group. I solved the problem by removing just a bit of material from the edge of the lip all the way around the basket. I used my bench grinder but a few minutes with a hand file should solve the problem. Slips right up into the group now with no issues.
LMWDP 267

dergitarrist (original poster)

#37: Post by dergitarrist (original poster) »

@grog, like I said, just sand it down a bit. Same here with the stock PF and my naked PF from Gabor in a '72 C67.
LMWDP #324

Katoci

#38: Post by Katoci »

grog wrote:It fits fine in my Naked PF (from Gabor) and the stock OEM Oly PFs - for me the issue is that regardless of which PF I use, it's difficult to get it into the group. This isn't the case on my 1st gen Pavoni, and Marcfi. The Olympia groups are 73/74 so maybe the later ones are ever so slightly larger, just enough to make it easy to grt the basket in?
Use the same "NAKED" portafilter, but the issue is the group (Cremima from '74). But I think I will buy one and sandpaper the edges.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#39: Post by baldheadracing »

As another data point, the Streitman basket fits fine in an Elektra Micro Casa a Leva group (1985-vintage brass-finish) and the factory portafilter. It was a tight fit into the Richard Penny brass portafilter; however, a hammer fixed that :D.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

SimonPatrice

#40: Post by SimonPatrice replying to baldheadracing »

I'm curious, would there be any advantage in using the Streitman basket in place of the Elektra one?
Patrice
LMWDP #428