Opinions from Salvatore espresso machine owners... - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
chipman

#21: Post by chipman »

Speaking of Salvatore machines. As there been any recent reports on those $1000.00 HX machines he sold years ago? I have never heard one report after the initial news of the machines.

cbrucecampbell

#22: Post by cbrucecampbell replying to chipman »

I bought one of the early "One Blacks". I used it for about a year I think, and then sold to to a friend. She still uses it every day, and likes it very much.

I moved away from it primarily because I wanted more cup height - and a bigger machine overall.

It did/does have a couple of idiocyncrasies. No vacuum breaker. PF gasket would occasionally move downward when you were backflushing.

The only problem she's ever had with it was with the little water hose coming out of the reservoir. Once or twice it crimped - no water to the pump. I was able to reroute and zip tie it, and it has not recurred for the past few years.

Solid little machine. I expect it to last indefinitely for her.

-bruce

PS. If you look at my old posts you'll see a thread about it.
Bruce Campbell

3cordcreations (original poster)

#23: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) »

nspdsp wrote:I've had a Salvatore semi automatic for over 15 years and LOVE it. After some practice with the amount of espresso and tamping I was able to get a rich crema. It's a true workhorse..or was until I had to replace a part. Wendy is terrific in customer service, she sent me the correct part to replace and cautioned me not to over tighten, I over tightened and can't blame Wendy for that, she warned me. I"m hoping they will offer an exchange upgrade program and if so I'm in for a new one. My brother originally gifted this to me, he has two himself and they are both going strong after 17 years of use. Sorry, I don't know the model # or type other than semi automatic, I've had mine plumbed which is a time saver, but it was set up for either pour or plumb (nice option).
Thanks for the info. I haven't found a used one yet and the news ones are just out of my budget. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

Smoothstone

#24: Post by Smoothstone »

Hello I just joined and thought I would reply. I recently picked up a refurbished Automatic directly from Salvatore for $1100 shipped with a 2 year warranty. Awesome machine. I sold a LaSpaziale Mini Vivaldi II to buy it. Made real well and very consistent. I really wanted a E61 group head. Steams like crazy. My first shot just pretty prodigious and those there after.

3cordcreations (original poster)

#25: Post by 3cordcreations (original poster) »

Smoothstone wrote:<image>Hello I just joined and thought I would reply. I recently picked up a refurbished Automatic directly from Salvatore for $1100 shipped with a 2 year warranty. Awesome machine. I sold a LaSpaziale Mini Vivaldi II to buy it. Made real well and very consistent. I really wanted a E61 group head. Steams like crazy. My first shot just pretty prodigious and those there after.
Thanks for the info and sharing about your Salvatore. Was this the one on Ebay? I saw one on there not long ago. We are in IL also... :wink:
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

onthego

#26: Post by onthego »

chipman wrote:Speaking of Salvatore machines. As there been any recent reports on those $1000.00 HX machines he sold years ago? I have never heard one report after the initial news of the machines.
I have an eight year old One Black that is used daily. Still very happy with it. I added an OPV to get the brew pressure down to 9 bars. I moved the water reservoir outside of the case which makes it easier to keep clean and the water temp stays at room temperature. I have had to replace the Ulka pump several times. I believe that Salvatore now uses Fluid-o-Tech pumps on the his vibe pump models.

Ed

hankua
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by hankua »

I've got a little one black as well, probably should do the opv mod although it's been perfect since 09. Getting a refurb is pretty solid advice, another would be to get one with the water wand. The reason being you can regularly bleed and refresh the boiler. They have what one could describe as "semi-professional build", use American compression fittings, and most have removable HX and element parts (not the One Black).

Smoothstone

#28: Post by Smoothstone »

The one I got was on eBay. Most of the machines he lists on there sell off eBay. I called Wendy and she ended the sale and made me a deal. The fees there are getting out of hand. If you ever noticed that is why his feedback is so low. I am already eyeing a lever or spring lever. :wink: