Machristay Black Pearl

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
sprin001

#1: Post by sprin001 »

Ordering 5 lbs of the black pearl espresso. Would appreciate any recommendations/parameters any here have used.
FWIW, I really enjoyed the intelligentsia black cat - took a while to dial it in but was pulling 18.0 g, 27 sec, 30 g out, at about 203 degrees - great results.

sprin001 (original poster)

#2: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

Anybody drinking Chris coffee on here?

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC replying to sprin001 »

I was tempted to order some years ago when I picked up my Duetto from them, but hesitated only due to shipping costs.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

I bought a bag not long ago with a parts order. Their "It has also been characterized as citrus, winy, with lingering chocolate notes" description is not what I got. More of a smokey chocolate shot that was best in a small milk drink. 18g in/25-30g out. Try it in the 199°-201° range.
LMWDP 267

#5: Post by sprin001 (original poster) »

Thanks for the info John. I scored free shipping I'd have probably skipped on it as well. If it's any good, it would be a smoking deal at about 68$ for 5lbs; including shipping.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mgwolf »

I ordered a kilo a couple of months ago along with some other stuff. I thought it was quite good. More of a comfort coffee -- chocolate, easy to dial in, consistent. It had some overtones of other flavors that made it more interesting than some. I would order it again and I liked it better than any number of other coffees I've tried. I still like Vivace (either one) better. Recently tried some Cafe Umbro coffees which I liked a lot (Bizarri and Grifo).

sluflyer06

#7: Post by sluflyer06 »

Maybe you can make it work, I tried a couple pounds of it, some of the worst coffee I've ever pulled shots of. Way too dark roasted, notes were all roast and bitter chocolate, absolutely no balance to it. Just tasted like ashes to me and my wife hated it as well. Maybe in big milk drinks? (I only do shots and 5oz capps.)

I've pulled lots of cafe blends and loved them; Hologram (CounterCulture), Big Trouble(CounterCulture), Black Cat, Black Cat Analog, Thump Storm King, Nossa Familia's Full Cycle, Blueprint's Penrose, most have great balance with bright floral or citrus to pair with the chocolate.

#8: Post by sprin001 (original poster) replying to sluflyer06 »

Pulled about 5 shots to get it close to what I thought would be good 1:1.5 in 28 sec. I have to agree, it seems to be too darkly roasted for my palate to enjoy but I'll drop the temp some as I go and see if I can get anything else out of it. I'm also drinking it in a capp. FWIW it seems to be a darker roast than the intelligentsia black cat I just went through.

sluflyer06

#9: Post by sluflyer06 replying to sprin001 »

It's much darker than Black cat for sure. I ended up dropping temp to 198 if I recall correctly for the Black Pearl.