18 g coffee and 60 g finished double shot

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
moreshots

#1: Post by moreshots »

is this the goal for a double espresso shot , I am weighing each porta-filter with 18 g of coffee in a vst basket, then installing it on a Lacimbali m21 junior boiler volumetric and getting 60 g of coffee in the cup after approx 25 seconds ?
Suggestions???

Kfir

#2: Post by Kfir »

A good rule of the thumb is that the beverage weight should be twice the dose.

So grind finer and aim for 35-40g in the range of 25-30 seconds.

After you find your sweet spot then start to experiment with grinding even finer and do a 30g shot in a 30-35 seconds and see if you like a more concentrated beverage.

Play with that and learn what you prefer for each coffee but the general rule of 1:2 in 30 seconds is a good place to start.

Kfir.

Advertisement
moreshots (original poster)

#3: Post by moreshots (original poster) »

I just read a post for 18 gr of coffee and a 30 G shot , so right now zeroing in on it as I got my volumetric to 60g 18g coffee output 32 g at 39 seconds so next going a little coarser for a shot closer to 30 sec
Thanks Bill

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

moreshots wrote:Suggestions???
You may want to spend an evening viewing/reading some of the helpful resources on HB:
There's a few others mentioned under Recommended reading, but they're geared towards people who may not even know the difference between an "espresso maker" and "espresso machine". :wink: If these don't answer your questions, try the forum search tips. If that also fails, then post questions/videos/descriptions of what you've tried and the results.

While the above suggestions may seem a little pedantic, I've noticed that searching on even mundane questions like "What is a double espresso?" yields interesting matches, including answers to the question in your original post.
Dan Kehn

moreshots (original poster)

#5: Post by moreshots (original poster) »

thank you very much
this has helped a lot

Bill