Is my espresso machine limiting the taste?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
track0x1

#1: Post by track0x1 »

Hey all,
I've had my LeLit PL62T (HX & PID) machine for almost two years; paired with a Eureka Mignon grinder. Primarily, I drink lattes. I've tried tweaking my recipe, I upgraded my shower screen, use a VST basket (20g), and a bottomless portafilter. I've measured my brew temperature at 194*F and tried varying it. I've tried many different roasts and suppliers. I've also been using the WDT. The extractions have come out very nicely, forming a nice cone a few seconds into the extraction. I found a coffee shop that I really enjoy, and have been buying their beans and even got their recipe (dose, yield, time). I've tried matching their recipe to the T; I've also tried slightly longer and shorter times... still I can not get the creamy, smooth, almost nutty taste that their latte has when they prepare it.

They do use a LaMarzocco machine... Is this the final key to getting my espresso to taste like the one in the shop? Or is there still hope for my machine?

Thanks,
Tom

redbone

#2: Post by redbone »

Ever consider it might be the grinder. Maybe they are using a conical grinder which works better with their roast and blend.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bill33525 »

Check the Milk they are using. Some put Almond flavor into their drinks. Trying to replicate a cafe experience can be a challenge. Consider the following possible differences.
1. Water Profile.
2. Grinder characteristics.
3. Preinfusion differences.
4. Actual Pressure profile during the shot.
5. Actual temperature over the shot.

A professional barista can taste a shot and know how to tune it. Can you invite one of their staff over to tune your system?
Your grinder gets good reviews, however, does it make sense to have the cafe grind a few shots into a suitable container so you can take it home and experiment with their grind?

Hope this helps.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Your machine is good and the Mignon grinder is above its peers in that category but they do have their limits. I do not know what your comparison sample is being pulled from but it would be a safe bet to assume their grinder cost almost as much as your entire home setup. You should still be able to get very good espresso from that setup but will it match what you get at the cafe, probably not. There is also the experience of the barista pulling the shot, conditioning of the water they are using and the brew pressure. They may be running a higher brew pressure which will get you a heavier mouthfeel. If everything else is spot on, try checking your pressure and possibly turning it up half a bar or more.

To truly upgrade your grinder and machine you would need to make a very large, and expensive jump. Big commercial grinder and small commercial machine like the GS3, Slayer, Linea mini and something like a K10, Robur or other large burr grinder. Other systems would be a slight improvement to lateral move. Just keep plugging away and experimenting.
Dave Stephens

nuketopia

#5: Post by nuketopia »

First step - order a straight espresso or 3 from your favorite coffee shop. See if you can get the espresso to compare quality-wise first. This is really important.

If you can't match the espresso quality, check the technique, check the *water*!!! and make sure your beans are freshly roasted and properly rested. 194f is a bit low for brew temperature. 198-201f is probably more common and will get better extractions at home. Equipment-wise, the grinder is going to make a very, very big difference.

Second, since a latte is nearly all milk:

1. What milk are they using? Around here, one of the dairies supplies a specialty milk to many of the better coffee bars that you can't buy in the store. (Strauss Barista Milk). Generic grocery store milk and even worse, ultra-pasteurized milk don't taste particularly good.

2. The importance of well-made microfoam cannot be ignored. Really good, fresh milk and properly steamed and micro-foamed are the key to great milk drinks, especially lattes. Most home machines are lacking the copious dry steam energy to make nicely micro-foamed milk, especially a big serving for a latte. Your technique counts here too. On lower power home machines, it may be helpful to use a small, refrigerated pitcher that's just big enough to be 1/2-2/3rds full with your desired mount of milk. A cold pitch is useful with a lower power steam wand for the same reason whipped cream is best done in a chilled bowl.

gr2020

#6: Post by gr2020 »

nuketopia wrote:1. What milk are they using? Around here, one of the dairies supplies a specialty milk to many of the better coffee bars that you can't buy in the store. (Strauss Barista Milk). Generic grocery store milk and even worse, ultra-pasteurized milk don't taste particularly good.
This is something I'm learning myself. My usual milk was the King Soopers (Kroger) 2% house brand. After hearing people talk about whole milk, I tried the same brand of whole milk. But this week, just to try it, I bought some Horizon organic whole milk, and WOW - it's dramatically different. I just wish it wasn't literally double the price ($3.99/half gal) - ha.

That said, it's opened my eyes. I'll try looking at Whole Foods next time, and see what organic brands they have.

mrjag

#7: Post by mrjag »

The chilled pitcher is useful for honing your technique because it takes longer for the milk to reach the appropriate temperature, thus giving you more time to make adjustments. Once you learn how to inject the air and get the milk rolling, then I recommend you not chill the pitcher. Home machines tend to have wet steam and the longer it takes to steam your milk the more diluted your steamed milk becomes. This means if you want to approach cafe quality milk drinks you want to start with whole milk and steam as fast as possible to minimize the dilution.