How do you choose your coffee? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MB

#11: Post by MB »

I used to only order from one roaster when I started out, as he was recommended and he offered a nice selection of different SO's and blends. More recently I look to see what others are excited about on the forum. Then, if it sounds interesting and I need an order, I usually try a few small bags from that roaster. Occasionally, I end up with a coffee that's mediocre or even one I don't like, but the range of experience makes the truely delightful coffees stand out and more appreciated. I do like having a contrast of flavor profiles on hand, as it enhances the experience of individual profiles and keeps the palate from getting bored. So, if a roaster has more than one favorite, then I am more likely to keep going back.

I have found one bean so far that was so good I recently purchased a larger quantity of it in fear that it might sell out.
LMWDP #472

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

In the winter I get a subscription from a different known-good roaster. That opens me up to experiences that I wouldn't necessarily have had.

Also, the best café in my city is a multi-roaster shop, so I'll drop by there at a non-busy time and pick up a bag of whatever they are pulling that week, or drop into one of the local roasters and do the same with whatever SO espresso they are featuring. Not sure if this is the etiquette everywhere, but if I ask about the beans and buy a couple bags first, then the shot is usually on the house.

In other words, I let others do the choosing! :D - and then those experiences help me choose which greens to pick up.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

RyanJE (original poster)

#13: Post by RyanJE (original poster) »

Peppersass wrote:This is a problem that requires you to assess multiple variables at the same time. You need to make decisions on the following preferences:

1. Type (Single Origin or Blend)
2. If Single Origin, which one(s); if Blend, what kind(s)
3. Processing Method
4. Roast Level
5. Roaster

1. I choose single origin coffees more often than blends because I like to explore the characteristics of different origins. But I also drink blends that I've found to have exceptional flavor. Usually I have one or two single origin coffees and one blend in the freezer and defrost whichever one I feel like drinking for a few days.

2. I like Ethiopian coffees best because they tend to be more acidic and fruity than other origins. I've never found a Kenyan coffee that I like for espresso. I like some of the Central American origins, but not as much as the Ethiopian. Sometimes I like to go off the beaten path with something like a Yemen Moka or Sumatran. As for blends, I generally prefer modern blends, which tend to be mixtures of 2-3 high-quality light-roasted single origins, as opposed to traditional blends, which tend to be darker and don't always contain the best beans. That said, some of the traditional Italian blends with Robusta are fun every now and then, either from Italy or a roaster like Cafe Lusso. These blends re-create the espresso experiences I've had in Europe.

3. Processing method is usually a more subtle difference, but with some origins it can make a larger difference. For example, some Ethiopian natural process coffees have very strong berry overtones. This is probably a fermentation effect from natural processing, but if you like berrylicious espresso it's great. Most of what I buy is wet process, but when I spot a new natural process coffee on a roaster website I'll often give it a try. Of course, processing method has different effects depending on the origin, so again it's a problem with more than one variable to assess.

4. Roast level is probably the easiest to decide. Light-roasted coffees tend to be more acidic and sometimes fruity, while darker roasted coffees tend to be less acidic and more chocolaty. Medium roasts are sort of in the middle -- either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds. Unfortunately, it doesn't end with choosing a color. You have to learn how to optimize the pull for the roast level. Lighter roasted coffees are notoriously more difficult to extract and may require special techniques and/or equipment. Darker roasts can be pulled more easily with most equipment, but you still have to know how to avoid over extraction and bitterness. I prefer high-quality light roast single origin coffees, but I don't like ultra-light roasts. They can be very hard to extract, and I've had to do some heavy mods to my espresso machine to get decent cups that aren't overly sour. Sometimes an ultra-light will be underdeveloped and grassy, and there's no technique that can fix it. Sometimes light roasts can be pulled longer (lungo) to extract more, but they'll be weaker. After a lot of frustration with sour cups, I've recently been buying more light-to-medium roasts and have even enjoyed some darker roasted blends of the Italian style. If you're uncertain about your roast-level preferences, keep a few beans of each bag you try. Paste them to a piece of paper and label them for comparison.

5. You can find the names of many high-quality specialty roasters in the List of Our Favorite Roasters. Many specialty roasters keep to pretty-much the same roast level across similar portions of their product line, so once you get a feel for a given roaster's style, you'll have a good idea of how they roast most of their SOs and blends.

If you want to find coffees that taste best to you,there's really no way around sampling different coffees, processing methods, roast levels and roasters. It will take a while to get a strong sense of what you like and who can supply it. As with most things in the world of espresso, there are no shortcuts and you'll have to spend some money to get to the promised land.
This is like a mini coffee primer..

A lot of the points brought up are helpful and things I understand now but did not when I started. I pretty much only buy SO and drink straight espresso or pour over. Quite honestly I don't buy blends or SO sold as espresso so I'm still figuring out what plays nice so to speak (for espresso). Because of that, I've been trying to explore the natural processed coffees for espresso and then pour overs are open game. I imagine with experience people can look at a selection and decide "probably worth the money" and "probably not"....
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

DavidO

#14: Post by DavidO »

Being a newbie to 'real' equipment (coming from 15 years of mindlessly using a superautomatic), I think I choose my coffee like many in my position: finding a coffee that tastes familiar, but sourced from local/better roasters. I live in an Italian community in Canada, and my taste preference obviously tends toward that familiar profile.

As with any other niche culinary experience, we feel it's justified or warranted to then experiment and try other profiles, or even CHANGE our preference. I recall seeing a cooking show where the head chef chose the crappy canned food over fresh because his palate was not properly tuned - and how can he run a luxury restaurant with a Chef Boyardee taste preference. I don't think it's to that extreme with coffee, but to some degree it might be.

I remember when I first omitted sugar from drip coffee. At first I questioned what I was doing. But after a couple weeks, the palate changed, and having eliminated so much sugar from my diet generally, what was horrid without sugar is now FAR TOO sweet with. Coming back to coffee, my entire family says they love the coffee they make, but cannot stomach it without 2 dollops of sugar - so, do you REALLY like it then? Heck, I may add sugar to their coffee to make it interesting again.

So, for the relative newbie, I don't think we even approach things like single origin, regions, etc - but strictly taste. We try to find something that is familiar, and are at the same time open to new coffees to develop our palette. And of course, a place like H-B is a great resource to short list what coffees to try.

vaszeit

#15: Post by vaszeit »

I've been a lurker here since about 2007 and rarely post, if ever, but this topic caught my attention. I started off with a bag of Starbucks espresso blend when I bought my first espresso equipment - Miss Silvia and Mazzer Mini. That buying Starbucks coffee was a huge mistake I realized after my second or third shot. I researched local roasters and visited the two that I liked the next day.

One had a very good selection of blends and SO coffee, and I tried many of them over time. However, looking back, they did not have a single of the SOs that I like now. I landed on a couple of SO's and one blend that I and my wife liked the most and stayed with them for a good year. Until things started to change a little. I used to be able to get coffee that was roasted 2-3 days prior by asking them for their freshest batches. Until one day they started pushing older coffee first, where some of the coffees would be 2-3 weeks old, which I personally consider borderline stale or stale, depending on the bean. I understand, it's business, but my taste buds like fresh beans, lot's of crema, and they pushed me to go look elsewhere.

I ended up reading more and realized that the best way to enjoy coffee to the fullest is to roast it yourself. It's a lot cheaper, too. I bought a Behmor 1600 and still use it, 9 years later. I upgraded to a new 'Plus' control board and it's even better than before. Can't beat the ability to roast how you like and always have fresh coffee.

I pick my coffee by reading what others recommend, especially those who know what they are talking about, and those whose taste is similar to mine. I fell in love with Yemeni coffees after reading a feedback from one experienced forum member here and trying them myself. I then read what other SO coffee that person liked and tried them as well. Most of those I liked very much as well. I also get a pound or two of a new variety every now and then to evaluate. Coffees are typically characterized by how they are processed (wet vs dry), by origin and by cupping characteristics (acidity/brightness, sweetness, body, complexity, etc.) . Once you know your preferences it will be a lot easier to pick something that you are likely to enjoy. Roast level also defines the taste in the cup, but if you roast yourself you can control that variable to your liking.

Some of my personal favorites that I buy regularly:

Yemen Matari, Sharasi, Bani Haraz
Ethiopian Harar
Tanzania Peaberry
Mexican Turquesa (sold by CCM Coffee, what a great recommendation by someone on this forum. I never would have though of buying it myself)

I mostly enjoy SO coffee/espresso, but I've heard a lot of good things about Sweet Maria's Mokha Kadir blend and just ordered it on Sunday (while it's still in stock). Can't wait to try it. I've tried many blends over the past 10 years, but none impressed me enough to go back and keep buying again.

Now, this is an entirely different approach compared to buying coffee from a roaster, but it's worth it IMHO. Using an analogy, all of a sudden you are no longer limited to just buying regular or aged Cheddar, Provolone, or Swiss cheese, but you can now try Gruere, Tete de Moine, Appenzeller, Emmental, etc.