Coffee Weight for Double Shot?-- Baratza Sette 270W with Expobar Office Lever

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JoelAlbert

#1: Post by JoelAlbert »

All,

Well its a New Year and I decided to upgrade my venerable Espresso setup from a Rancilio Silvia with a Rocky Grinder to the Expobar Office Lever and the new Baratza Sette 270W.

I have been struggling a bit to dial everything in and wonder if anyone can provide some guidance.

How much coffee (by weight) should I be starting with to dial things in for a double Shot portafilter?

The grinds the Baratza produce are much fluffier than the Rocky and if I does more than 15.5 g (the grinder is dosing accurately as compared to my scale) it starts to clog up the machine.

Typically I had been using 17g with the Rocky/Expobar setup using Peet's Major Dickason blend.

I am trying to dial things in by changing one variable at a time. Any thoughts or advice?

It's been awhile since I had to dial in a new setup (the Rancilio setup lasted 16 years!) and would like to cut down on the coffee wasting curve if I can.

Thanks

Joel

Séb

#2: Post by Séb »

Personnaly on my lever machine i really like to do 16g in (the coffee ground) and 32g (espresso) so you get a 50% brew ratio which is usually a good starting point. I like to do a 6-8sec pre-infusion at 1.3 bar (boiler pressure) and then 25-30 sec of extraction. If you choke your machine with a higher dosage, you simply need to grind slightly coarser. Try to do small adjustment at a time.

This is a good idea to work only on one parameter at a time, avoid changing bean, basket, etc... for now

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

I have a Brewtus which has the same group at least. I've been pulling 17 grams using a very nice but unknown double basket. Not a Sette of course, but a point of reference.

Ira