La Cimbali Junior D/1- need help with restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BlackSun

#1: Post by BlackSun »

Hello,
I have some questions regarding this machine. It is D/1 model, year 2000, plumb in, vibe pump.I bought it recently and it came in not so great shape, so I had to dissemble all, sand blasted and repaint the frame, clean (a lot), descale, change all the gaskets and put back together piece by piece. Before I tell you the problems I encountered here are some pictures of before/after.
Before

After

So...it was time to power it on. I removed the wires from heating element in order to just fill the boiler without turning the element on. And here was the first problem. I took all the wires even those that were screwed in the element, the two green ones (ground) and one black, so when boiler started filling it did not stop and I had to turn it off.. Then I put all the wires back and put the machine on again. The boiler was not filling anymore but since it was already over maximum not sure if that fix the problem. It was also getting hotter so the good news was that element is OK.
The problem is that even I gave several times the long flushes I couldn't get water level to drop to actual max level on sight glass. Did somebody encounter the same problem? What should I do?
Other thing that is bothering me is how to set up the doser? There are 8 metal rods marked with letters from A to H which should be set. If somebody with the same or similar model can give me some guidance it would be great.
Thanks in advance!

pebble

#2: Post by pebble »

Thinking aloud... Water level does not drop in sight glass?

So pump is continually working/filling as the valve/switch is not closing. Find the component that regulates the water flow and check it

Sorry new to machine parts so do not no the technical names

BaristaRosso

#3: Post by BaristaRosso »

Hi BlackSun,

Beautiful restoration! Just a quick question: with long flushes I am sure you mean using the hot water tap, correct? Flushing the group will not lower the boiler water level as this is a HX machine.

Enjoy this nice machine!

BlackSun (original poster)

#4: Post by BlackSun (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply.
Now I got it. I was giving it through group :roll:
I will report back.

#5: Post by BlackSun (original poster) »

The machine is working fine, boiler is filing, heting element is ok, just to fix few leaks and its ready to make some espresso.
Now I have a problem with the water level ball. It does not apear in the sight glas. Anybody knows how to fix this?

amagad

#6: Post by amagad »

man that thing was beat up, good work on your efforts.

civ

#7: Post by civ »

Hello:
BlackSun wrote:... the water level ball. It does not apear in the sight glas. Anybody knows how to fix this?
Take off the vacuum breaker and look down inside the glass tube.
It's most probably stuck at the bottom.

If it is there, you just have to fish it out.

With the machine cold and unplugged, take off the vacuum breaker and look down inside the glass tube.
If you see the ball at the bottom, carefully send some flexible plastic/rubber/latex tubing of the proper size into the sight glass and suck on it once it reaches the bottom.

As you do that, take special care not to push down on the ball, you may stick it down further.
While keeping the vacuum on the tubing, slowly pull it out.

Now, if you can't see the ball, you'll have to empty the boiler and take apart the sight glass assembly to see if you can find it.

Cheers.

CIV

BTW: very nice job, congrats.

#8: Post by BlackSun (original poster) »

Hello civ,
thanks for advices. I will try it and see if I can get it hopefully without needing to empty the boiler.
Thank you, it was hard project which is now almost finished. I took a lot of advices from your and other more experience members posts regarding the Junior.

#9: Post by BlackSun (original poster) »

I managed to get the ball. Luckily it was on the top of the sight glass jammed when the boiler was overfilled.
I also made made a test and made one espresso. It worked great!
I will leave it without side panels for couple of days to see if there are no more leaks.
One more thing, can anybody give me instruction how to mod it in order to obtain pre-infusion?

#10: Post by BlackSun (original poster) »

So...anybody with the idea or advice for preinfusion mod?