Milk for Cappuccino Same for Latte Art?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Goldensncoffee

#1: Post by Goldensncoffee »

Hello all,

I apologize if this topic has been covered before but here it goes. I've had my espresso setup for a little while now and I feel like I'm getting better at pulling shots, steaming milk, etc. I've recently got the feel of steaming milk that seems to give me some decent latte art. It seems thinner than what I would normally think would go into a cappuccino. Isn't a traditional one supposed to have more of a soft cap on top that you lip sinks into when you sip? Do you steam your milk differently for different drinks? Or if your pouring art or not?

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

The line got blurred when 3rd wave got a foothold for all things latte and cappuccinos. Traditional Italian cappuccinos were a ratio of equal parts espresso, liquid milk and dry foam cap. The word translates to "hood" or "cap".

But then micro-foam steam milk entered the scene and has made ordering a cappuccino somewhat confusing depending upon expectations. I have found newer, younger baristas don't know about or how to make a traditional Italian cappuccino.

Even "lattes" have progressed from hot liquid milk & espresso to a drink basically like a 3rd wave cappuccino, containing micro-foam "art style" but with higher ratio of milk foam to espresso than a cappuccino.

Personally I've grown fond of and attached to micro-foam infused cappuccinos over the traditional Italian cappuccino. YMMV.

And yes, at least in our house and all the top tier coffee shops I've frequented, the micro-foam is the same for cappuccinos and lattes; just the ratio of espresso to total drink weight being the variable.
No Espresso = Depresso

JR_Germantown

#3: Post by JR_Germantown »

Well said, spressomon!

Jack

Goldensncoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by Goldensncoffee (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:The line got blurred when 3rd wave got a foothold for all things latte and cappuccinos. Traditional Italian cappuccinos were a ratio of equal parts espresso, liquid milk and dry foam cap. The word translates to "hood" or "cap".

But then micro-foam steam milk entered the scene and has made ordering a cappuccino somewhat confusing depending upon expectations. I have found newer, younger baristas don't know about or how to make a traditional Italian cappuccino.

Even "lattes" have progressed from hot liquid milk & espresso to a drink basically like a 3rd wave cappuccino, containing micro-foam "art style" but with higher ratio of milk foam to espresso than a cappuccino.

Personally I've grown fond of and attached to micro-foam infused cappuccinos over the traditional Italian cappuccino. YMMV.

And yes, at least in our house and all the top tier coffee shops I've frequented, the micro-foam is the same for cappuccinos and lattes; just the ratio of espresso to total drink weight being the variable.
Thank you