Aligning burrs by sound?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RyanJE

#1: Post by RyanJE »

Hello fellow tweakers....

I have a question. I want to align the flat burrs on my Grindmaster bulk grinder.. here is what they look like.

Because of the lack of a flat edge, the marker test doesn't seem to tell me much. My grinder uses a screw on the front knob to calibrate coarser and finer. Clockwise turns are finer. So here's the question. In theory, if the burrs are closer to parallel wouldn't I be able to calibrate to a finer screw position before they start to touch (heard by audible chirp)...

I have a hunch based on the marker test which side might be closest together so think I know where to start with my shims.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

trumz

#2: Post by trumz »

Have you tried the marker trick? I don't think alignment by sound is feasable, but this video might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWlpz9mELM

Terranova
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Terranova »

RyanJE wrote: In theory, if the burrs are closer to parallel wouldn't I be able to calibrate to a finer screw position before they start to touch (heard by audible chirp)...
Yes that is right.
The more parallel, the bigger the gap between your grind setting and 0 point.

RyanJE (original poster)

#4: Post by RyanJE (original poster) »

trumz wrote:Have you tried the marker trick? I don't think alignment by sound is feasable, but this video might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWlpz9mELM
Yes, that was the point of my post. Since my burrs don't have a flat edge, the marker doesn't wipe when they are touching....

RyanJE (original poster)

#5: Post by RyanJE (original poster) »

Terranova wrote:Yes that is right.
The more parallel, the bigger the gap between your grind setting and 0 point.

Awesome, thanks Frank!

bostonbuzz

#6: Post by bostonbuzz »

See my post about how I aligned them. The Grindmaster 890

I used a dial indicator and a little creativity. Basically, there are three positions for the inner burr which are slightly different in height. You can use a flat screw driver to push the slightly-tightened burr up/down/left/right.

Great grinder.
LMWDP #353

RyanJE (original poster)

#7: Post by RyanJE (original poster) replying to bostonbuzz »

I've read that post before and am confused now. I thought that was to align the burrs concentrically rather than parallel? Can you correct parallel alignement that way?

How come you got rid of it?

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

You might get lucky and be able to correct parallel alignment by trying possible permutations of the 3 positions each burr can be installed in, other than that, aluminium foil shims are the only reasonable solution. But you need to find a way to see the pattern when the burrs touch.You should be able to do it with a sharpie or maybe Dykem, but you might need a magnifying glass or better to see the marks.

Ira

RyanJE (original poster)

#9: Post by RyanJE (original poster) replying to ira »

Actually a magnifying glass is a good idea. Since the burr edges have peaks, its very hard to tell right now.